8 changes...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with CT-Rich.

I'm a "rime in the water" diver. I'm experienced enough that I can "look ahead" and foresee a problem, and think about "what I'd do if...". That cuts down my reaction time because I've already solved the problem in my head. Faster reaction time means more time to address the problem.

As we say in the Infantry..."Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast."
If you've ever had the proverbial fertilizer hit the fan you'll understand.

New divers with few dives in their logbooks can't "look ahead" because they don't have the experience to look ahead to. So they have to rely on a buddy or dive guide or instructor to do the looking ahead for them.

Last edited:
Or on your back. I have swum over a half mile doing this, both going out and coming in. There are simply too many entanglement hazards here in Florida to use one, and especially so on wrecks.

On your back??? If there are too many entanglement hazards I want to be looking ahead to see and avoid them.

My biggest entanglement hazzard is the %$#& line from the dive flag. I've never got it tangled with my snorkel or mask but the bc/harness, fins, leg, yep. My fault entirely and I fixed the problem. But dive and let dive - I'll keep my beloved snorkel, thanks.

On your back???
Always. Most entanglements in Florida are on the bottom and on wrecks.
But dive and let dive - I'll keep my beloved snorkel, thanks.
Yeppers. I hate 'em. You love 'em. We can still be friends! :D

Regarding "the end of the weight belt". I have just bought my own diving gear and put it together in the garage today. I left the BCD hung up and when my son came in he pulled out an integrated weight pouch and to my surprise he said "its got integrated weights". I was surprised because I watched him some of the time he learned to dive in 2014 and he was using a weight belt. I said how come you know what they are and he said we used them and a belt when I was learning. He was taught to use a combination of belt and integrated weights (His Instructor was Renato Cacoete at Subnauta). Incidentally my BCD is an Aqualung Axiom and I am well pleased at how comfortable it is (on land at least) compared to hire BCDs I have used in the past. With a part filled 15L steel cylinder on (about 21 Kg) I hardly noticed the cylinder, it felt like a hiking rucksack with just a meal and drink in it.

Sounds a lot like the .45 is better than/worse than the 9mm argument.

Hi 3arl,

Yeah, you're correct, the 45 and 9mm are about the same.

I am glad you did not compare either of those calibers to my 357 mag, 40 Smith, or 44 magnum!!

That would have been blasphemy!!

On second thought, Shoot and Let Shoot...yeah, that's the spirit.

markm

Shoot and Let Shoot...yeah, that's the spirit.
Duck and let duck??? :D :D :D

But along comes a tiny .17 HMR from a rifle and does an awful lot of damage - different way of achieving the same thing - bit like wight belts vs integrated.

Hi 3arl,

Yeah, you're correct, the 45 and 9mm are about the same.

I am glad you did not compare either of those calibers to my 357 mag, 40 Smith, or 44 magnum!!

That would have been blasphemy!!

On second thought, Shoot and Let Shoot...yeah, that's the spirit.

markm

Wheel Gun huh? Nice. My sister carries one of those in her purse. :)
LOL just messing with you, Bro.

Wheel Gun huh? Nice. My sister carries one of those in her purse. :)
LOL just messing with you, Bro.

Yeah, I admit it, I am a sissy! Haha!

I shoot my 44 magnum wheel gun and my 627, 8 shot 357 magnum most accurately because they don't have those manly crappy triggers that striker fired semi autos have. My P226 has a horrible trigger (I know, not striker fired)!

I did not mind you messing with me!

markm

*** MOD POST ***

OK, gang, let's keep this on the topic - '8 changes'. I don't thin
k Harry referenced trigger pull or mag changes. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom