7mm Women's Wetsuit- which brand is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Globetravelgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I am traveling to Key Largo in 5 days (water temp 65 degrees F), and the Galapagos again at the end of the year. I have a White's Dry suit, which I am not thrilled with, so I am looking to purchase a 7 mm wetsuit asap. Pacific Wilderness, a shop in San Pedro, CA makes their own line called Bearskin which has a superstretch model for $265. It's a better deal than I've seen elsewhere. But I am wondering is the Xcel Bamboo or the Henderson H2 or Hyperstretch a better model? Though more expensive, another might be a better buy if it feels better, lasts longer, etc. Does anyone have any experience with Bearskin? What suggestions do you have? Thanks, C.

The brand is not as important as the fit.
Get yourself into as many suits as possible, and you'll know when you have the right one.
Start with Sport Chalet. The Huntington Beach carries Oneill, Body Glove, and maybe Pinnacle.

No experience with Bearskin.
My wife loves her Aqua Lung Aqua Flex. The Henderson Hyperstrech fit her well also.
The Pinnacle was difficult for her to get on.
As mentioned before, brand is not as important as fit. Try as many on as possible.

Thanks, you guys. I have tried on a few brands and will try on the others before I make the choice. I am learning what you mean about fit being more important than the brand. I have found Xcel a bit difficult to get into, which is a consideration. I will keep trying all of the brands I can find. Thanks for the tip on the HB Sport Chalet, the Long Beach location only had 1 brand. Sadly, they didn't have my size and there were only "4" in the nation. I have had excellent service with Kris (HB location) and Chob (Cypress location- 'Scuba Toys') at Beach Cities Scuba. I tried on the Pinnacle, Xcel, Henderson H2 and the Henderson Hyperstretch. They have gone the extra mile in sending suits up from the Dana Point location for me to try. Also, they don't do the hard sell like another shop in Long Beach does. They have been completely honest with me and have given me some significant discounts as well. I will keep trying, thanks so much for your responses. I really appreciate your help. :wink: Cindy

Personally, I like the Pinnacle suits, especially the merino lined. They are much warmer than most other suits and the merino makes it easy to get on and off.

Sooner or later someone is going to think I do rep work for Scubapro. I have the Scubapro Everflex 5mm (type B – temp rating). I have looked and tried most brands and are confident that this is the most comfortable and functional wetsuit around. Have a look at them, they are great.

I am traveling to Key Largo in 5 days (water temp 65 degrees F), and the Galapagos again at the end of the year. I have a White's Dry suit, which I am not thrilled with, so I am looking to purchase a 7 mm wetsuit asap. Pacific Wilderness, a shop in San Pedro, CA makes their own line called Bearskin which has a superstretch model for $265. It's a better deal than I've seen elsewhere. But I am wondering is the Xcel Bamboo or the Henderson H2 or Hyperstretch a better model? Though more expensive, another might be a better buy if it feels better, lasts longer, etc. Does anyone have any experience with Bearskin? What suggestions do you have? Thanks, C.

I know this probably isn't a question you want to answer, but why do you not like your Drysuit?

In most cases people are simply put off by the extra work of having to learn to manage the air spaces. Is that what's bugging you?

To be honest, the drysuit will give you a much wider range of diving, because you can layer on as much or as little underneath it as you need. You will be better served getting comfortable diving with it than putting more money into a wetsuit that you will have to put tons of weight on in salt water to be neutral.

JHMO,

Last edited:
If you are traveling to the Keys you should stop by and see the ladies at Wetwear. They will be able to make you what you want, in your budget. They will also loan you a suit if needed in the keys while they make you one (they did that for my dive buddy). Don't let the word "custom" make you think more expensive either. I bought my suit for the same price as most quality off the rack suit, but the fit is unbelievable. I am toasty warm.

Back
Top Bottom