7mm Wetsuit vs 7mm Farmer John

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snoballz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Generally, is a 7mm one piece wetsuit just as warm as a two piece 7mm Farmer John? I realize that at the "core" there will be 14mm.

I just got myself a Farmer John but realized what a PITA they are. Now I know why divers prefer drysuiits for cold water dives.

:14:

I dive Monterey, CA regularly, where the water seems to average 50 degrees at depth. I'm generally comfortable in my Scubapro Everflex 7/5 suit with a 5/3 hooded vest underneath. My girlfriend would probably freeze herself to death in that suit, and gets chilly in a 7mm farmer jane. I think it all depends on your individual sensitivity and response to cold. My 7/5 plus hooded vest is definitely a LOT more comfortable and flexible than the farmer john/janes, but I won't pretend it's not colder...

Generally, is a 7mm one piece wetsuit just as warm as a two piece 7mm Farmer John? I realize that at the "core" there will be 14mm.

I just got myself a Farmer John but realized what a PITA they are. Now I know why divers prefer drysuiits for cold water dives.

:14:

The Farmer John will give you 2X on the core so it has a little more going for it than a pure "full suit". If does loose some of it's punch with overlap leakage.

The best of both worlds is a full suit (one piece) and a hooded vest. This gives you the single barrier of a full suit with 2X on the core and a hood that really manages the neck opening of the suit. More here.

Pete

For wetsuits there is a large difference in warmth between a 7mm onepiece integrated hood and a 7mm Farmer John 14mm midregion. The 7/5 with 5/3 hooded vest is 12mm midregion. I use a 9/7/6mm onepiece integrated hood with semi-dry seals around ankles, wrists, face and zippers down to 44F. My wife needs a 7mm farmer jane with hooded vest for the same conditions 14mm+5mm =19mm.

The hooded vest is great, but of course only helps from the waist up. Does anyone know of neoprene of otherwise insulated shorts to wear under the wetsuit? That layer would add a little more warmth and be very welcome, especially in the spring.

The hooded vest is great, but of course only helps from the waist up. Does anyone know of neoprene of otherwise insulated shorts to wear under the wetsuit? That layer would add a little more warmth and be very welcome, especially in the spring.

Body Glove makes shorts to wear under suits. Never tried it yet as I just order a pair but I was looking for some proper under armor and came across them so I'm gonna give them a whirl. They're kinda like biking shorts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom