7mm Wetsuit in Los Angeles Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dingsand

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently in the market for a 7mm wetsuit. I understand I have to try it on to make sure a proper fit. Can anyone tell me where in the LA area has the largest selection of wetsuits? I tried Sports Chalet and they only have O'neil and body glove with very limited sizing. The LDS usually only carry 1-2 brands. I think internet has the best selection and price but without trying one, I am afraid I may get one that doesn't fit. Any idea?
I am 5'8", 155 lbs, with 29" inseam. I know I am kind of between Medium and small...Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ding

Leisurepro.com has a no pressure fit warranty...you get the item shipped for free and picked up if it doesn't fit you after trying at home.

I use bare wetsuits (very flexible sizing) and you would be a Medium or Medium Short.

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/rt_sizecharts_dive.aspx

Cheers.

-J.-

I would look into the Hyperstretch suit by Henderson or other stretchy material by other manufacturers. They will work well for inbetween sizes and also are much easier to get into and out of. When you get up into thickness of 7mm though the stretch factor is reduced a bit as is the warmth. So maybe you want to think about getting some pieces - like a hooded vest or stretchy hood in addition to the suit.

dingsand:
Hello all,

I am currently in the market for a 7mm wetsuit. I understand I have to try it on to make sure a proper fit. Can anyone tell me where in the LA area has the largest selection of wetsuits? I tried Sports Chalet and they only have O'neil and body glove with very limited sizing. The LDS usually only carry 1-2 brands. I think internet has the best selection and price but without trying one, I am afraid I may get one that doesn't fit. Any idea?
I am 5'8", 155 lbs, with 29" inseam. I know I am kind of between Medium and small...Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ding
Eco Dive Center in Culver City has a pretty big selection. Else there are lots of local shops, most of which seem to carry one or two different brands. Use this as an opportunity to check out your local shops and try suits on at each place!

For Pinnacle (my suit) - I'd recommend California Diving Company in Santa Clarita
For Henderson - Hollywood Divers - Studio City
For Body Glove - Dive 'n' Surf - Redondo Beach

I visited 4 stores i believe and finally found an oneil at sportchallet on last years close outs... I think i tried on about a dozen suits in all and about passed out at scuba.com's warehouse store after my 4th suit. Got myself stuck in a 12mm oneil martian man suit and couldn't get out of it, it was a disaster. I am now looking forward to the arrival of my drysuit though WOHOOO!!!!

Anyway, I would recomend giving New England Divers in Long Beach a try. Mike is a great guy and has a good selection of nice suits. in the end, get whatever fits good. also, you could look into going custom if you are concerned about a good fit.

New England Divers
2936 Clark Ave
Long Beach, CA 90815
(562) 421-8939

I really like the custom 7mm I got from Aquaflite. Ed Rogers does a great job and his prices are competitive with off the rack suits. He'll do alterations and repairs, if you need them. Fast turnaround time too.

I really like the custom 7mm I got from Aquaflite. Ed Rogers does a great job and his prices are competitive with off the rack suits. He'll do alterations and repairs, if you need them. Fast turnaround time too.

hey bro, try Hollywood Divers for wetsuits and hooded vests. They have the biggest selection that I know of in LA. If you want a really really amazing wetsuit, go get an Xcel Quad Polar from Aloha Dive. From what I understand they are the only shop that carries them in LA, I could be wrong though. Whoever has that suit is where you want to go. It has a zipper across the chest, not the back(front entry), and also has a vented integrated hood. Everyone that I know that uses this suit will not go to any other suit for diving out here.

Hope this helps

Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom