7mm w/hooded vest or Semi-Drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssullivan28

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm trying to decide between buying:

Bare 7mm Elastek full suit and a 7mm Elastek step-in hooded vest. (I have an Elastek 3mm and I really like the fit and feel (but of course...that's 3mm.)

or

Bare 8/7 Velocity Hooded Semi Dry Suit

I'll be doing the majority of my diving in Monterey where I *think* the temps usually range from the high 40's to the mid 50's.

Would the semi-dry or the combo be warmer? Also, is it safe to assume I'd require less weight if I went with the semi-dry?

For my open water dives I wore a 6 or 7mm farmer john rental (the water was 52 degrees) and I was pretty warm.

Thanks for any and all advice!

My dive buddy has both the 8/7 bare semidry and the 7mm Bare Artic with Step in hooded vest. He likes the 8/7 semidry much better and is really happy with the warmth. Based on his experience, I'd go with the 8/7. Bare has put a nice drysuit zipper on the 8/7 semidry.

BTW the water temps we have been diving are 43 - 52 lately. We are averaging about an hour per dive. He wears less weight with the semi-dry.

Cool, I was kind of hoping that the semi-dry would be warm enough being it's about a hundred bucks cheaper than the combo!

Thanks for the info Diveprof!

-Steve

ssullivan28, can you update us on how your bare semi-dry has worked out for you. I also dive in Monterey and have the same question as you.

ssullivan28, can you update us on how your bare semi-dry has worked out for you. I also dive in Monterey and have the same question as you.

Wow, great timing! I'm going to be diving this coming weekend down in Monterey in the suit for the first time for my Advanced Open Water class. I'll update the thread next week after I've given it a few dives!

-Steve

I dive the Bonne Terre mines quite frequently, and I almost bought that exact suit. In the end I decided to go dry.

I'm curious as to how the suit works out for you AND how the diving is in Monterey.

cheers!

So I finally got to dive my Bare Velocity 8/7mm semi-dry over this past weekend for my advanced OW class, so not too many dives yet, only four.

Getting it on is relatively easy - the only problem I had was getting the thing zipped. Getting the zipper started - I have to pull my left arm a bit out of the sleeve in order to start the zipper. And I can't zip it all the way before I need a buddy's assistance. I was able to get it to about 3 or 4 inches before I need assistance. I can't extend my right arm, and pull with it at the same time to close it up. I really like at the wrists and ankles, the top rolls back and allows you to zip up your boots and pull your gloves on over an inside flap, then roll the top back down over the boots and gloves giving a very good seal. Taking it off is a little more challenging, but I was usually able to do it by myself. I was stuck trying to undo the zipper after my last dive. Getting my arms out isn't too bad - getting my legs out isn't so much "difficult" as it is unruly. Basically I just pull my legs out until I can pry the ankles off and the thing ends up inside out. Perhaps in time I can find a more elegant way out.

It fits really nicely and feels great against the skin. It's quite flexible and I found it to be a LOT more comfortable than the old Body Glove 7mm farmer john/jacket combo that I was renting. This was noticeable with the walk down to the beach and then especially putting my fins on in the light surf. In my old rental setup - farmer john and a non-back inflate bulky as sin BCD I felt like I was wearing one of those fake sumo wrestler suits and I REALLY struggled to get my fins on and off (I have fins that are extremely easy to don and doff (scubapro seawing nova's)). I didn't struggle once with the Bare...it was effortless.

Temp wise...it was a bit too warm at first. After the long march to the beach and then a decent surface swim out to my instructors buoy I was uncomfortably warm. The water in Monterey was a little warmer than I expected - 59 degrees. When I dove there in Feb, I think it was 51 degrees (and the air temp was only 47 degrees). I started feeling a bit stressed with the heat as I was waiting for the dive to start...to the point where I finally pulled my hood back off of my head to start the dive. After about 10 minutes under I cooled down enough to put my hood back on. Note, on that dive I also wore a somewhat heavy rash guard. All subsequent dives I did without the rash guard, and I never had any other issues where I felt over heated.

Not once did I get any cold shocks of water running down my neck or up my sleeves. The suit performed great. Only once when I turned my neck as far as I could did I even feel any water seep in through the hood around my face, and it was really minimal.

I did a night dive on Saturday, followed by a 9am dive on Sunday and the inside wasn't wet or uncomfortable or difficult to don - I just hung it inside out in the shower at my motel room after a quick rinse. The thing dries pretty quickly. After I got home, I laid it out in the back yard in the shade inside out after a thorough rinsing and the inside dried within a few hours. I then put it right side in and hung it over night in the garage and it was completely dry the following morning.

As far as weighting goes...with the farmer john, I was carrying 38 pounds on the weight belt. With the one piece semi-dry, I was only carrying 30 pounds - this made the post dive march back up to my truck much more comfortable. Next purchase - a steel tank so I can knock off a few more pounds from the belt!

I don't regret the purchase (I spent I think $450 at Leisurepro), but I do wish it had a vertical front zipper similar to the Camaro Stingray Pro (which is a really cool looking suit).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks so much for the report. I'm seriously considering getting one. Did you call Leisurepro to buy or did you just order it online? I believe they sometimes offer lower prices if you call.

As for drying it, were both inside and outside dry?

Do you have the do anything special to take care of the zipper like you would a drysuit?

Sometimes when I know it's going to be a long walk to the water I'll just poor some cold water (from bottled water) down my wetsuit before I make the trek. Maybe that will help with this suit.

I just ordered it online...I didn't even think about the possibility of getting a better price by calling. I'll try that next time I'm making a purchase with those guys! Thanks for the suggestion!

Good idea with the cold water down the wetsuit pre-march to the water!

The instructions that came with the wetsuit didn't say anything about care for the zipper from what I recall (other than just making sure to rinse it and keep it clean of sand). I'll try to find that info to double check it. I did lubricate it with a little wax, just because I found it a bit frustrating to try to operate on my own, but the zipper was still pretty stiff.

The outside of the wetsuit was *mostly* dry. There were a few areas that were still a little damp, but for the most part it was pretty darn dry (a million times better than the farmer john rental I used previously...) The inside was very dry and completely comfortable to put back on. This was as stated, after hanging it in the shower at the hotel room inside out over night.

We had a night dive at 8:30pm...I brought it back to the motel afterwards, rinsed it in the shower, then hung it up...probably around 10pm. The next morning when I dove at 9am it was just pretty darn dry like I said. Just a few spots of dampness on the outside of the suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom