7mm easiest to put on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As others have mentioned, a smooth (interior) skin wetsuit is really pretty easy to put on if it is properly lubricated.

It may take a minute or two extra in preparation (applying lubricant) but once it is ready to put on, it is quick. No stretching ang tugging, the suit just slides on. Note that a lubricant MIGHT help to some degree with a typical nylon lined suit, but it works extremely well when applied to smooth interior rubber and the diver is not wearing more than a small bathing suit underneath.

With a properly lubricated suit there is no need for ankle or wrist zippers, plus these additions would provide a potential source for leakage. I don't think any quality freedive suit manufacturers offer this as an option (I could be mistaken).

btw, I read about it a while back on using a plastic bag or something similar to ease donning suits. I've never tried it, but that might be something to look into.

A skin under makes donning and doffing easier.

I will also agree with the go dry crowd.

btw, I read about it a while back on using a plastic bag or something similar to ease donning suits. I've never tried it, but that might be something try look into.
I got all the kids to do this, works pretty well. We also keep a bottle of conditioner that they'll spread on and that works good... sucks if it's cold out though.

Hey,
The OP was talking about 7mil wetsuits, not drysuits people. I have used multiple rental 7 mils in Holland and they were a nightmare to don. A while back I tried several and I wound up with a Scubapro suit (the cheaper version, forgot the name). Arms and legs have zippers and sort of seals that are somewhat easier. It's still a hassle, but It's doable and I have yet to encounter a 7 mil suit that is easier.

Using lube is an option but I have chosen not to. Get too dirty and is difficult to clean imho.

Good luck and have fun diving!
We know the OP was asking about a wetsuit. We are just encouraging a drysuit instead. Most of us have found that when you need a 7mm wetsuit, a drysuit is a better answer.

I got all the kids to do this, works pretty well. We also keep a bottle of conditioner that they'll spread on and that works good... sucks if it's cold out though.
Tip:
Heat the conditioner up in a pot of very hot water before you leave the house. Put the container inside the suit. Wrap the wetsuit all around the hot conditioner- it is a pretty good insulator.

When you get to the site, quickly unroll the suit, squirt the warm conditioner on the inside of suit and then put it on ASAP. SOMEWHAT works to reduce the cold shock.

A skin under makes donning and doffing easier.

I will also agree with the go dry crowd.

Skin makes it 10x easier to don and doff. I don't use wetsuits anymore in NE unless drysuit has leaks, but without a skin a few squirts of baby shampoo/water in a spray bottle makes it easy to don as well. A little harder to take off after diving since the water washes out the glide from soap.

My Hollis NeoTek is easy to don and doff but I always wear a rash guard and compression shorts underneath. I once dove a SolaFX and that was uncomfortable af in every sense of the word.

My dry suit is more comfortable and convenient, of course, but sometimes I want to be in the water rather than with the water.

Looking to dive a bit more here in Colorado between trips. What would be the easiest 7mm wetsuit to put on/take off that works well? With two recent shoulders surgeries, one each side, the struggle is real! Appreciate the insights.
I purchased a Pressure Junkiez front zip. I love it. In addition to this I bought a nylon undersuit off of amazon. There is some minor squeeze around 65 feet but if you are staying less than that then you’re fine with the nylon. If you’re going deeper I would ditch it. Here is a link.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom