7mm boots in the tropics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey All,

My trusty pair of 5mm Tusa boots finally developed a hole in them (on the top of the foot, right where the rubber is glued to the neoprene)...I was thinking of just repairing them, but not too sure a patch n' glue job would hold up in that area....I bumped into a pair of really nice hendersons...35 bucks :-D...downside is that they are 7mm....All my diving is pretty much in South Florida. Besides my feet being (alot?) warmer, and they will take alot longer to dry - any other major downsides anyone sees for them? I was thinking buoyancy may also be an issue?

Hey All,

My trusty pair of 5mm Tusa boots finally developed a hole in them (on the top of the foot, right where the rubber is glued to the neoprene)...I was thinking of just repairing them, but not too sure a patch n' glue job would hold up in that area....I bumped into a pair of really nice hendersons...35 bucks :-D...downside is that they are 7mm....All my diving is pretty much in South Florida. Besides my feet being (alot?) warmer, and they will take alot longer to dry - any other major downsides anyone sees for them? I was thinking buoyancy may also be an issue?

Coincidentally, I have a brand new pair of Henderson Insta Dry 3mm boots, size 11 for sale ($45 shipped). I have a larger size and love them. Non mushy when wet...

Henderson Insta Dry 3mm Boots

My 7mm boots weren't an issue in Bonaire nor were they for my wife.

Besides my feet being (alot?) warmer, and they will take alot longer to dry - any other major downsides anyone sees for them? I was thinking buoyancy may also be an issue?

When was the last time you ended a dive thinking "Would have been a great dive, but my feet were just too damn warm!"

:shocked2:

Your feet will be a touch more buoyant, but imperceptibly so going from 5mm to 7mm. Hell... for most people that will just help keep their fins off the bottom!

My 7mm boots weren't an issue in Bonaire nor were they for my wife.

Yeah, here's a picture of me wearing 7mm boots in Bonaire... no problem being too warm.

Of course, you'll note that I'm wearing a drysuit as well...

WarmDry.jpg

No problems with my 7mm in Roatan...

Well, there's always the possibility that you might sweat in them and the stink could drive the dish away, so I'd be careful :wink:

I didn't know there was such a thing as 7mm boots, unless attached to a drysuit. I use 2mm booties year-round here in Belize, and find them perfectly adequate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom