7MM ALPINE HOODED (Bare) Choices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big-n-Buoyant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
...have my eye on the Bare Arctic full hooded wetsuit.

From experience, more votes for a full suit with hood attached?... (if you're diving water that needs 7mm, a hood will ALWAYS be needed anyway)

.. or more votes for a full suit without the hood and add the hooded vest.

I would appreciate comments from anyone, but especially those with experience with the Bare Arctic full suit (with or without attached hood). How do you like the zipper up the hood's chin, etc.?

How about your thoughts, Pete (Spectrum)? Do you have experience with both designs?

Bonus question: What is the best way to store full suit that has a hood attached?

B-n-B

I know some here like the suit with the integrated hood. To me that's asking a a lot of the fit of the suit. Adding a second item (a vest) you can provide a barrier to oppose the zipper seepage and this is of huge value.

As you may have read I have the Bare 7mm Arctic and the 5/4 Velocity. I also have the 3mm hooded chicken vest and the 7mm hooded step-in vest. I mix and match them every which way including the 5mm w/o any hood or just a beanie for a mild summer pond dive.

The 7MM full suit and chicken vest kept me comfortable all summer. I had the 7mm step-in but didn't need the warmth or extra 4 pounds of weight. It made for a very comfortable suit for dives that dipped into the 50s and even 40s for brief periods.

Some like a John / Jacket for the option of using the parts separately. For most the fits aren't right for either to work well alone.

The chin zip is like it's not there. When you surface you can just lower it right away and you neck is free and open. Thats nice even with a comfortable fit. There is a recent thread about the zipper sliding down a time or two, including mine, but I think that was a fluke.

Storage? Proabably the same as a hooded vest. Hanging on a broad padded hanger in a cool, dark dry place. The hood flops backwards in my cases.

Pete

If your leaning toward a 7mm, you might entertain taking it up a notch to a drysuit

Rap

rapidiver:
If your leaning toward a 7mm, you might entertain taking it up a notch to a drysuit

Rap

I wish I did that. I have a 7mm farmer jon and for the weight i had to add to my belt I should of saved up for a dry suit. it hangs on the wall of shame right now.

I have the Artic SGS and dive it in cold ontario water. it is awesome. very little water transfer in the suit. i use the 7mm all summer and then in spring, fall and winter I use the 7mm hooded vest overtop and it is warm. the hood feels a little tight when it si fully zipped and takes soem getting used to. overall it is a great coldwater suit!!!!

It's a very individual thing but if your needs are in water 50F and above I'd pass on the Drysuit for the simplicity of a wetsuit.

Given what you can get the 2 Bare items for at Divetank it makes a world of sense to have both and to dive the simpler more streamlined wetsuit when it's comfortable. I don't have a lot of dives on my drysuit yet and I like what its doing for me but so far I'm not buying the line of never going back to wet after diving dry.

Pete

I just got done with my first cold water dive in my Bare Arctic with a Scubapro 1.5mm Glideskin under it. After 41 minutes in 39 Degree water, I wasn't uncomfortably cold. My toes and lips were pretty damn cold, but my body was still pretty warm. When I took off the suit, I still had a spot about ten inches in diameter that was dry. I don't think I'm unusually cold resistant, so I would recommend the Bare. I wear an O'neill hood under the suit.

flashover604:
I just got done with my first cold water dive in my Bare Arctic with a Scubapro 1.5mm Glideskin under it. After 41 minutes in 39 Degree water, I wasn't uncomfortably cold. My toes and lips were pretty damn cold, but my body was still pretty warm. When I took off the suit, I still had a spot about ten inches in diameter that was dry. I don't think I'm unusually cold resistant, so I would recommend the Bare. I wear an O'neill hood under the suit.

You did very well! I'd want my 7mm step-in over that suit at 39F. Also consider the neo-socks if you have any extra space in your booties this made a huge difference for me.

Pete

I'm looking into a different set of boots. Right now I've got a pair of U.S. Divers Islander boots. I'll have to look into the socks. Any ideas for a warm boot? Mine are kinda small.

flashover604:
I'm looking into a different set of boots. Right now I've got a pair of U.S. Divers Islander boots. I'll have to look into the socks. Any ideas for a warm boot? Mine are kinda small.

I have some Deep-Seas, 7mm I think. Probably have 200 skin/scuba dives on them.Still solid but starting to fade in color. Even with the socks I spike the booties before I zip them. That way they really pre-fill the voids with quite warm water. I did it earlier this week for an ocean skin-dive. Came back after 30 minutes in 41F with perfectly comfortable feet. I've also learned that if your limbs are truly well protected then your hands and feet will do much better.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom