7MM ALPINE HOODED (Bare) Choices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neo socks are the way to go.....made a HUGE difference for me.:wink:

had the artic sgs out in 33F water on new years day. was in for 25 minutes and i was warm. fingers and toes got a bit numb but i guess i will have to give neo socks a try. that was also with not warm water at the start. it is a great suit for cold water!

mines not the sgs, but I'm very impressed with it... I'll have to give the neo-socks a try...

I have dove with a full suit with bibbed hood, a full suit with hooded vest, and a Bare Alpine with integrated hood. I would rank them in the reverse of that order. The full suit with a bibbed hood is okay. Using a hooded vest is a lot better, but the Bare Alpine is the best.

I just bought this wetsuit for women and I love it! I wore it diving this past weekend. I like the front zipper and the suit kept me extremely warm in 60 degree water at depth.

One word of caution...taking it off can be difficult and you may need to have someone assist you (like your buddy!). I've learned to take it off myself by getting the suit off of my shoulders, then I grab the hood from the back and tug onto it until the suit is low enough to get my arms out...it's a little tricky.

The zipper up the chin doesn't bother me at all and the zipper didn't get in my way.

The size chart is accurate, but the sizing is weird. I normally wear a 9/10 in a 7mm BodyGlove, but I needed a size 16 in the Alpine.

I have a Bare 7 mm wetsuit (not sure what specific kind beyond that), and overall it's worked very well for me. Mine happens to be a farmer jane-type suit, which I've found gives me more options for different water temps. I tend to run cold anyway, so the warmer wetsuit is nice.

I don't think that you necessarily need a hood all the time, even if you need a 7 mm suit...if the water isn't really cold, I'll just wear the farmer jane part, minus the jacket.

The zipper on the chin hasn't been a problem for me...I don't own any other hoods, so I don't have anything to compare it to. It seems to fit well, though, and doesn't bother me in any way. I second the comment about getting help to take it off...it's especially hard after a dive or two. Getting into it is tricky as well, I usually end up having to do a sort of high-stepping "wetsuit dance" to get it on.

As for storing a full suit with a hood...I don't like to fold up neoprene for long periods, so I'd recommend getting a really strong hanger and hanging it up on that...that's what I do, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom