7ft regulator hose w/jacket BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique:
The topic of conversation is about 7' hose use, not whether it's DIR. That's for another forum.

I find it ironic that you do not consider the bungie method as Hogarthian since the fundamental concept is to minimize. With the excess hose bungied you minimize the clutter of hose wrapped around your body/neck. That is perfectly Hogarthian in my opinion.

--Matt

I keep my (adjustable) short hose turned down a ways to help minimize the possiblility of a freeflow. It seems to me that my OOA buddy should get a reg that is delivering lots of the one thing he doesn't have. Or are you breathing the long hose reg even though it is bungeed? I ask that because everyone that I have seen with a bungeed long hose was breathing their short hose.

Also, since the only REAL emergency underwater is being OOA, I tend to practice air share drills regularily, just ask my dive buddies. :D Therefore, having to restow the hose in it's bungees while UW would be a regular PITA.

Your thoughts?

scubafool:
I keep my (adjustable) short hose turned down a ways to help minimize the possiblility of a freeflow. It seems to me that my OOA buddy should get a reg that is delivering lots of the one thing he doesn't have. Or are you breathing the long hose reg even though it is bungeed? I ask that because everyone that I have seen with a bungeed long hose was breathing their short hose.

Also, since the only REAL emergency underwater is being OOA, I tend to practice air share drills regularily, just ask my dive buddies. :D Therefore, having to restow the hose in it's bungees while UW would be a regular PITA.

Your thoughts?

I breath off my 7' bungied hose. This reg is deployed to an OOA diver and I then switch to my 2nd primary hanging below my chin on a necklace.

Standard gear configuration - the only difference is the placement of excess hose when not in use by an OOA diver. This excess is bungied behind my wing on my right tank with just enough hose extending out of the top bugie band to allow me to comfortably use the reg. It would be impossible to restow the hose in the bungie bands after an OOA drill. For the purposes of drills or classes I restow the hose with the body wrap. The body wrap is no big deal, but for non-drill dives or classes I prefer to bungie the excess hose.

--Matt

ehfireems:
Hey everyone,
I have a quick question with regard to changing my hose configuration. I am considering going to the 7ft regulator hose and a bungeed octo as a backup, but while reading another post here I kind of got the impression that it may not work correctly for me since I don't dive with a BP/W. I am still currently using a standard weight integrated jacket BC (for now, the BP/W will come next year probably). Am I going to have a problem in going to this configuration? In thinking about it, I don't think it should be a problem as long as the hose tucks in, but I could be wrong. I'd rather hear from some people with more experience on the issue.
Thanks,
Shane
If you are going to go to the trouble of switching to a long hose, then why not run your octo on a high port and over your shoulder and suspend it on a necklace around your neck. Your out of the way of the long hose, an the little bit longer octo will hang nicely.Now you have a quick access to back with having to find it or stow it when Emerg. is solved!! If you find the octo a little long for you, switch your reg. to a standart reg. hose.You can make adjustment through length of hose,Adjust tank.

I am in the same boat. I am using 5 foot hose because of my body size....

Who said, it doesn't work. Who cares if you are confortable with that.
Jonnythan also got to some good point.

archman:
Yes, I recommend this too. I use a six-footer myself; not a big tucking fan. Six foot hoses are a bit harder to find, but they're out there. Five footers are easy to locate.

I've got a back-inflate BC and am thinking about using a long hose configuration. My first stage uses a swivel on the top for the LP hoses. Two come out of each side and are at about a 30 degree angle apart. Would the inflator and octo come from the "front" ports on either side and then the long hose come from the right "rear" port or will it really matter?

Thanks,
Brian

m7scuba:
I've got a back-inflate BC and am thinking about using a long hose configuration. My first stage uses a swivel on the top for the LP hoses. Two come out of each side and are at about a 30 degree angle apart. Would the inflator and octo come from the "front" ports on either side and then the long hose come from the right "rear" port or will it really matter?
I just acquired a bp/w, regs (atx50/ds4), and hogarthian hose setup. The "standard" length for a short hose is 22". If you run this hose off the rear port, it will be pretty tight. I originally had it mounted that way and I switched it to the front port. It's much better that way. The long hose (7') runs off the rear port. I tuck the excess into the waist of my harness and it works well off the rear port. The inflator runs off the the left front port and the drysuit runs off the rear port.

I dived a 7 foot hose while using a Mares Sycro Tec BC for several years before I switched to a BP&W and never had a problem. I placed a small rubber O-ring around the long hose and attached a small bolt snap to the O-ring with some cave line. I placed the thing along the hose in such a way that I could clip it to a D ring on the cumberbund of the BC to secure the hose the same way it would be if I were carrying a canister light. The O-ring allowed me to free the hose from the clip by pulling on the hose and breaking the O-ring if I needed to deploy the entire hose but it was strong enough to secure the hose during a normal dive.

Not to be critical, but shouldn't you practice the way you play, so to speak?

Anotherwords, whatever action you need to take in a real life OOA should be the actions you take in practicing an OOA. Therefore, a long hose secured by an O-ring that would be broken during a real OOA shouldn't be deployed by unsnapping it in a practice run, if you were to follow that line of reasoning.

My wife dives the long hose with a BC that, although it is back inflate, does not provide a good object to route the hose under. The configuration of the strapping also makes tucking the hose in problematic so this is pretty much the equivilant of your situation.

What we have done is take a standard plastic hose clip, cut off the snap hook (make sure you do this so that you don't create a snag point) and sew the remaining hose retainers to the bottom of the BC approximately where the light canister would be on a wing - Just behind mid body at the bottom of the BC.

Clipping the downward pass of the hose into this keeps it under perfect control but leaves most of the hose immediately accessible in the event of a deployment and allows the remainder to be pulled free very easily.

This approach may be worth a try.

ehfireems:
Hey everyone,
I have a quick question with regard to changing my hose configuration. I am considering going to the 7ft regulator hose and a bungeed octo as a backup, but while reading another post here I kind of got the impression that it may not work correctly for me since I don't dive with a BP/W. I am still currently using a standard weight integrated jacket BC (for now, the BP/W will come next year probably). Am I going to have a problem in going to this configuration? In thinking about it, I don't think it should be a problem as long as the hose tucks in, but I could be wrong. I'd rather hear from some people with more experience on the issue.
Thanks,
Shane

scubafool:
Not to be critical, but shouldn't you practice the way you play, so to speak?

Anotherwords, whatever action you need to take in a real life OOA should be the actions you take in practicing an OOA. Therefore, a long hose secured by an O-ring that would be broken during a real OOA shouldn't be deployed by unsnapping it in a practice run, if you were to follow that line of reasoning.

Yes, you're right but at the time it was all I had as I was just starting to switch to a more technical gear configuration. On the other hand there was plenty of hose available for an OOA diver to use, nearly 3 feet which is more then is available using a standard lenght Octo hose, even with the hose clipped off to the cumberbund. If more hose was needed and the OOA diver was calm then unclipping the remainder of the hose would be no problem and if the OOA diver was in desperate need of the full 7 ft of hose all I would have to do was pull on it and it would brake free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom