7ft regulator hose w/jacket BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic001918

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a quick question with regard to changing my hose configuration. I am considering going to the 7ft regulator hose and a bungeed octo as a backup, but while reading another post here I kind of got the impression that it may not work correctly for me since I don't dive with a BP/W. I am still currently using a standard weight integrated jacket BC (for now, the BP/W will come next year probably). Am I going to have a problem in going to this configuration? In thinking about it, I don't think it should be a problem as long as the hose tucks in, but I could be wrong. I'd rather hear from some people with more experience on the issue.
Thanks,
Shane

As long as the hose stows somewhere that doesn't interfere with deployment you'll be fine. Just make sure that you can donate the long hose quickly and easily, and put it back quickly and easily.

Practice with it.

Thanks for the quick reply. I plan on going to the pool with it at least once or twice to make sure I'm happy with how it deploy's and so that I may get used to it. That will give me a chance to figure out exactly where to tuck everything in and let me know if I need to be creative with any routing. Thanks again for the reply.
Shane

StSomewhere:
Why not a 5' or 6' hose (depending on your size) that wouldn't need to be tucked in?

Yes, I recommend this too. I use a six-footer myself; not a big tucking fan. Six foot hoses are a bit harder to find, but they're out there. Five footers are easy to locate.

No problem using a long hose on a single/bc rig. You will have the same advantages (in terms of the hose length) as someone using BP/W.

I prefer the bungie method for excess hose stowage. Place two pieces of bungie cord around your cylinder and stow the excess hose there. Deploying it is no problem and you don't have the clutter of a hose body wrap.

If you need to deploy a reg for real you are going to the surface with your buddy. For training or practice purposes you will need to deal with the body wrap through the conclusion of your dive.

--Matt

matt_unique:
I prefer the bungie method for excess hose stowage. Place two pieces of bungie cord around your cylinder and stow the excess hose there. Deploying it is no problem and you don't have the clutter of a hose body wrap.

If you need to deploy a reg for real you are going to the surface with your buddy. For training or practice purposes you will need to deal with the body wrap through the conclusion of your dive.

--Matt

I realize he is asking about this with a regular BC anway, but bungie stuffing hoses isn't even remotely hogarthian/ DIR.

i dove a 7-foot hose with an Oceanic Probe and never had any trouble.

the water would keep it tucked against my chest. i didn't start tucking it in
until much later (with a bp/w) (mostly because nobody told me it
was done and i didn't figure out by myself)

for open water, a 5 or 6 foot hose will probably do fine. but i was doing cavern,
so i figured i'd just go with the overhead-standard of 7 feet.

what will give you the most trouble is a snorkel, if you use one. the hose
somtimes tends to snag. if you remove the snorkel, then you won't
have that problem

RTodd:
I realize he is asking about this with a regular BC anway, but bungie stuffing hoses isn't even remotely hogarthian/ DIR.

The topic of conversation is about 7' hose use, not whether it's DIR. That's for another forum.

I find it ironic that you do not consider the bungie method as Hogarthian since the fundamental concept is to minimize. With the excess hose bungied you minimize the clutter of hose wrapped around your body/neck. That is perfectly Hogarthian in my opinion.

--Matt

H2Andy:
what will give you the most trouble is a snorkel, if you use one. the hose
somtimes tends to snag. if you remove the snorkel, then you won't
have that problem

Amen to that! This is the main reason I stopped wearing my snorkel, and it's probably why there are so many anti-snorkel discussions on the board. The thing's are simply far less compatible with the long hose setup, vs. the standard setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom