7 mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abitton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My GF want to div Coz and PDC in a 7mm full wet.

She gets cold easily up here (has done 75 degree water in full 7mm + 7mm tunic)

What do you think? (I will be wearing a full 3/2)

A.

Well, the water is around 80 degrees...I guess if she gets cold that easily. Personally, I can't imagine wearing that thick a suit. I did dives in swim trunks there. I go on tropical vacations to avoid all that exposure protection.

Anyway, it's high 70s, low 80s, so whatever she would normally wear in that water.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Personally, I can't imagine wearing that thick a suit.

It's definitely painful... But better than not diving!!!

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Alex

Depends on the individual for sure. Everyone is different on this. I wear a 3mm shorty there, but have seen some dm's wearing 5mm full since they dive so frequently and tend to get cold. 7mm in Coz would be a first though in my experience. Seems a bit excessive for 80 degrees.

My two cents

Mark

I wear a 1/4 inch suit and 5mm hood in warm water. I prefer a farmer john so I can just wear the top if I'm warm and add the bottom later in the week when I start to chill more quickly.
Ber :lilbunny:

abitton:
My GF want to div Coz and PDC in a 7mm full wet.

She gets cold easily up here (has done 75 degree water in full 7mm + 7mm tunic)

What do you think? (I will be wearing a full 3/2)

A.

What time of year will you be going? The water temp around Cozumel varies from the mid 70's in January/February to the mid 80's in July/August.

A lot of DM's in the Caribbean dive 7mm because they spend so much time in the water. Of course their 7mm's are usually thinner than my 2 before long :wink:.

My girlfriend and I have been to Coz three times. She wears a 3/2mm with a 5mm hooded vest plus skin. I wear a 3/2mm with a beanie. We have never been cold. It depends on the individual. Unless your going to be doing 4-5 dives a day, the 7mm might be overkill.

Hope this helps.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I am always cold. From Dec-April in Cozumel and the mainland I've worn 4mm full and a core warmer. After a few days I am getting a chill at the end of the second dive. Several people (mostly women) I've been on the boat with have had 5mm and sometimes a 3mm vest under it. Depends on your personal tolerance and how many dives you'll be doing each day, how many consecutive days, etc. Maybe a 5mm and a vest to add if she does get chilled would be a good option.

If you are doing any cenote dives, the water is 76-78, but there is no sun so it can feel colder. 5mm or the 7mm for her would be good there. The cenotes can be over an hr dive.

Life lesson #666 - The man is ALWAYS wrong.

A hint, she's your girlfriend.

Some advice, let her dive in what she wants to dive if you want her to stay your girlfriend.

If she dives in something other than the 7mm and gets cold, I can assure you that you will never hear the end of it. It is just the nature of that sort of thing.

An observation, it is infinitely easier to cool off in water than it is to warm up. If whe gets warm, all she has to do is open the neck a wee bit and let in some cool water.

If she gets cold, well, you know the rest of the story.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom