7 missing divers - Jupiter - all found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you @Wookie I was wondering how quickly help was called. I hate reading about boats that are searching and searching and don't call it in once they get that rock in the pit of your stomach feeling, and the divers keep floating...and floating...

Good job Emerald Charters!!!

From what I've heard, at least two of the divers also activated their Lifeline units, which helped the PBSO helo locate them.

As far as a flag, yes it makes it easier for the boat crew to track the divers - but whoever's got the flag is probably going to have their hands full with that. I personally loathe having to carry one when required and instead carry a DSMB and Lifeline unit (and may add a small EPIRB in the future). Never had an issue yet with a dive boat losing me.

In many world class dive locations, the Dive Master does not enter the water carrying/pulling a dive flag.{Cozumel, Galapagos, Coco's, etc, etc} They shoot an SMB towards the end of the dive. Jupiter is very advanced diving and some deep dives are not for everyone. A diver may want to choose a different venue with alternate procedures and shallow dives, that use a flag.

I dive Jupiter and as I said before, familiar with the local practices [I shoot my dsmb upon ascent] I have not been with all [3?] charters though. I am not asking the question looking for ops that offer a hand-holding dm.
JDC puts a dm in the water with flag. It's been my experience that it is up to you to follow them if you want or go off on your own. I have done both depending on the site and crowd. Narcosis is the same. But either way, I am not too far off from the flag. A lot of boats out there.

Delighted with the outcome for these guys.

Anyone know of a comparable radio at a cheaper price?
marine-rescue-gps_2.png

Nautilus Lifeline Marine Rescus GPS

I know a number of folks on this charter. They were on rebreathers. Following hot drop rebreathers sucks at best and the divers don't know they are lost, so they aren't as quick to shoot a bag as the captain wishes they were. Kudos to the Captain for calling for help as soon as he got to worrying about them, too many captains say to themselves "I'll just look for 10 more minutes". Plenty of time for disaster.
None were on renreathers.

I came across this video of the rescue. Two things stand out to me. Bigger is better for an SMB, when the defication strikes the rotary oscillator. And laying the SMB horizontal in the water makes it easier for air searchers to see it.

Some of those divers are climbing aboard the dive boat with fins on. Makes things a bit more awkward, no?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom