7 December 1941, "A date that will live in infamy." (Video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Side Scan Images of the PBY...compare to Blade's picture above...you can clearly make out the detached wing and engine...

S00003.PNG

S00004.PNG

S00016.PNG

If diving on a wreck that was likely sunk 7 December 1941 is not a "Holy Grail of Hawaii" I don't know what is. Thank you MCBH Command Deck, MCBH Waterfront Ops, MCBH Flight Operations, MCBH Base Historian, and Dr. Van Tilburg and Ray Boland from NOAA. One more thing, the songs accompanying the video are for historical purposes...we have long since gotten over it...no offense intended to anyone or anything.

Wreck is in restricted waters, don't even ask me about "how do I get to go dive it..." The answer is "You probably won't". If you intend on doing a Ninja Dive on it (which will probably get you into the MCBH jail) I would like to remind everyone here that it still belongs to the United States Navy and taking ANYTHING from it, digging around it, or even touching it is breaking federal law. So don't do it...k?

rolleyes010.gif

Thanks for the post. I wish I coulda been there! This is the kind of stuff I live for.

On a related WW2 discovery note, I met this Dr. form NOAA at a party a few months ago with an interesting story of discovery.

Japanese Midget Submarine

It's a from a couple years ago but still very cool. He said they can't touch it because the torpedos are still armed. He also said there is at least one other plane that was shot down and still somewhere over the murky water around ford island.

Back
Top Bottom