7.25" or 8" Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USFishin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at either getting a HP120 or a HP119. The HP119 is a couple inches shorter and .75" fatter than the HP120. I think that I would prefer a tank a little wider than taller since I am not a very tall guy. Are there any cons to the 8" tanks besides the possiblilty of it not fitting into tank racks on a dive charter?

I use 8 inch tanks, and yes fitting them in tank racks in the only concern. If you're not very tall 120's can get really uncomfortable in a big hurry, being too high or too low, or both depending in your height. I think the 119's are about the height of an AL 80, maybe a little bit shorter. So if you com trim comfortably in an 80, you can probably get a good trim with the 119's. I'm 6 foot 2, and have tried 120's and found them borderline for me to get a nice fit.

Any issues as far as being streamline or anything? I am sure it's nominal if anything.

Well yes the 8 inch tanks would have a little more drag I'm sure, but I don't really notice it. I dive with double LP108's and I can't say I really notice them holding me back at all while I'm in the water. Perhaps in heavy current they might be more noticeable.

USFishin:
Any issues as far as being streamline or anything? I am sure it's nominal if anything.
Nothing you'll be able to notice.

I like the 8" HP119's, because they're the same height as HP100s and fit perfectly in the back of my Element, without having to turn them sideways and have them rolling all over. Also, they're less likely to topple over than the tall, thin HP120, which is also notorious for causing trim issues with divers who aren't tall enough to handle it. (not my problem)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom