7/24 Sunday 8:00 AM USS Speigel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice.

Great reports. Sounds like you all did well and thoroughly enjoyed the day. I guess its time to mosey back south a bit...

Cool. When you go can I hitch a ride??:D

Hee Hee! :D
(ride, ride, ride, hitchin' a ride....from the old CCR song in the 70's)

It Was A Blast!

Great friends, great spot, great crew, great dive! Thanks to everybody who made this a wonderful vacation. 1st, BlueWater Divers..http://www.bluewaterdiver.net/..You guys are great. This is what a diver wants to run into when you are not in your regular neck of the woods, and thats people who know what the heck they are doing. Way to go guys, you get my vote as a DIVE OP. I WILL be back. ALL of your advice and directions were superb!. Brent You are the Man!

Luis at Ocean Divers. Kudos man. You did things that you didnt have to do...Like get my 2 HP tanks up to full pressure with MY mix, in lots of time to not miss a step diving.
TWICE!

Tracey at HOBOS. What a gal! What a feed!

Tugboats.....I'm keeping this a secret. But if you are ever in for some adventure Find this place!
Eric, Scott, Harley, Krista....as always it was great to dive with you!

Thats Krista in front of the AA Guns. Viz could have been better but the water was to die for.

I really want to get back here with a macro lens and more gas. This thing needs a lot of time to really appreaciate. Im not cleaning these up so you guys can get an idea of how the viz and colors really were.

I'm showing this one last...
because there are a lot of penetration points now. They did a good job of putting tape and lines down but sooner or later somebody is going to find a pooch down here.

Some operators are literally dumping bodies on this wreck. I will not slam an operation here. But I SAW at least 20 people ( and I discussed this # with other witnesses and this is low ball ) just dropped... in a good current... on this wreck. I saw it from a 30' saftey stop when our boat was supposed to be on the bow ball. Marvel was ascending with me. We worked our way through the descending crowd and looked at each other like...damn, where did they come from, and how many more are coming? Well like a trail of ants they passed and the very last one...Classic Tarzan Movie :D ...
has his tank out of the bc being held on by only the mounting strap! We tried to help help this adventurous soul but NO! We get beat off. Remembering my rescue instuctor's admonitions. MAKE SURE YOU CAN SAVE YOURSELF! We headed for the surface. Now it gets good. The boat that dumped these guys is crewed by one guy on the wheel, and one guy on the gate. :censored:

The last time I even remember somthing like that was when a rock band set off fireworks in a frame nightclub, and were surprised when it burned down! :censored:

Anyway there were no casualties

BUT GUYS!​
:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Get real. At least get another mate. The people in the water think you are gods! If something happened on that one you would be wrong!

Anywho. The new grove is hot!. Get a crew that will let you drift it and you will have a ball! :yelclap:

Scuba_Jenny:
Hee Hee! :D
(ride, ride, ride, hitchin' a ride....from the old CCR song in the 70's)
Don't get too cocky! You got caught in almost NO time, and were unable to replicate this bizarre phenomenon! In fact, the look when you got caught is the same one I've seen on toddlers who get caught with a hand in the cookie jar!

for a great inaugural weekend on the Spiegel Grove! I'm only sorry that I couldn't join you, as I was saddled with an open water class on Saturday and Sunday. Since then, I've logged several dives on the "new" Spiegel Grove, and I'm duly impressed!

She was an awesome dive before Hurricane Dennis. Now, she's nothing short of stupendous! Everything makes more sense... not only to us, but apparently to the fishes as well. The starboard stern quarter is now loaded with minnows, mackerel shad, snapper and grouper... lots of grouper!

The interior is not only more accessible, but also more "diver-friendly". While a bit deeper, she's now much better suited to multi-level diving. Visibility continues to improve, and is now in the 70+ foot range. Currents, as always, are unpredictable... sometimes ripping, sometimes slack, sometimes changing mid-depth or mid-dive.

She's still considered an "advanced dive" by prudent operators... requiring advanced certification and/or recent deep diving experience, or accompaniment by an insured divemaster or instructor. Traffic on the wreck is generally light during the week, and heavy on weekends, but should subside as the "new" wears off. Come dive her when you can.

Until then... dive safely, have fun, and never stop learning!

Hey guys, maybe you should come back, Vis was > 100' today.
You could see all the way across the ship (85') & then some.
I was the first person in the well deck today(no silt) went all the way to the front, like diving in a spring.
Current was ripping, but it was worth it for that vis.
Sitting on the boat we could see the line going down & where it tied off on the crane.

Just thought you might want to know. lol

Thanks for buddying up with me for a great diving experience on the Grove, and the fun dive on the Benwood following. Drifting the Grove was great, and much more relaxing vs. having to swim in current. Not sure why more Ops don't take that approach.

Your partner Capt. Marvel gave us a couple good dives on Molassas then next day even if I was buddied up with a couple who could not seem to log more than 45 minutes at 30' without running out of air.

I enjoyed diving with you, and will definately be back and book you out again.

I hope the storm season is kind.

L8R, and thanks for being my buddy.

Ron

KeyLargoBrent:
for a great inaugural weekend on the Spiegel Grove! I'm only sorry that I couldn't join you, as I was saddled with an open water class on Saturday and Sunday. Since then, I've logged several dives on the "new" Spiegel Grove, and I'm duly impressed!

She was an awesome dive before Hurricane Dennis. Now, she's nothing short of stupendous! Everything makes more sense... not only to us, but apparently to the fishes as well. The starboard stern quarter is now loaded with minnows, mackerel shad, snapper and grouper... lots of grouper!

The interior is not only more accessible, but also more "diver-friendly". While a bit deeper, she's now much better suited to multi-level diving. Visibility continues to improve, and is now in the 70+ foot range. Currents, as always, are unpredictable... sometimes ripping, sometimes slack, sometimes changing mid-depth or mid-dive.

She's still considered an "advanced dive" by prudent operators... requiring advanced certification and/or recent deep diving experience, or accompaniment by an insured divemaster or instructor. Traffic on the wreck is generally light during the week, and heavy on weekends, but should subside as the "new" wears off. Come dive her when you can.

Until then... dive safely, have fun, and never stop learning!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom