7/24 Sunday 8:00 AM USS Speigel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
I have four reservations but am waiting to make sure of which operator, so I'll post the who-when-where shortly. Let me know if you will go for sure and I'll hurry up and decide!

Dive operators are getting booked up for the weekend of 7/23-24, so I'd suggest getting your reservations in early. Hopefully, the wreck will be "certified" OK by then and we won't have another hurricane to deal with.

Right now I'm booked on Slate, but this can change as soon as I hear from my group:
CAPTAIN SLATE'S ATLANTIS DIVE CENTER
Mile Marker 106.5, Atlantic-side
Phone: 305-451-3020 or 800-331-DIVE
51 Garden Cove Drive
Key Largo , FL 33037

I'd like to dive with KeyLargoBrent (http://www.bluewaterdiver.net/) but need to make sure the four of us all qualify for the dive - in spite of the more shallow deck now (80'), there still seems to be a concern at Blue Water Divers that divers should be advanced or at least "deep dive experienced." If divers stay out of the well deck and don't venture over the side, I'm wondering if there's a need for this even considering the "strong" currents.

Brent at Blue Water can be reached at (305) 453-9600 or (888) 953-9600. They're located in front of the Holiday Inn at MM 100 Atlantic-side.

Is the SG open to the general diving public yet?

SueMermaid:
Is the SG open to the general diving public yet?
... according to the dive operators I talked to this morning (Slate, Blue Water, Island Venture, Horizon) there's a good chance. There's no guarantee, of course. Brent said that they had a federal officer chasing divers off yesterday.

Right now I'm booked for Naples that weekend. Toni is taking me there for my birthday.
I believe though since it s MY b'day I can swing this.....

More to come!

I'd get on a boat that limits the numbers of divers cause everyone is going to want to dive her now that she's flipped.

The only reason I say this is becuase last week I saw Amoray Slates boat leaving as we were coming in and I could not believe how many people were crammed on that boat. They had to have 40+ divers on it the boat. I don't think I've ever seen that many divers on a boat before.

I've never dove their boats before and have only seen this, but it looked way too crowded.

Let me check flights and I'll get back to you. :wink:

Marc

mike_s:
I'd get on a boat that limits the numbers of divers cause everyone is going to want to dive her now that she's flipped...SNIP
They have some large boats they use for the snorkel trips. Did you see tanks? Was it a Captain Slate's or an Amy Slate's boat?

Yup, everybody wants to dive that weekend for sure. Many operators are booked. Who knows whether the next hurricane will flip the Grove onto its port side!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom