7.1 Earthquake 39 miles off Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the Josie J Cross? Never heard of it I would love to learn the background story.

From what i found .. Josie J is a wreck at Roatan island.

I found this picture: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/at...r-favorite-rebreather-pictures-gkn-joseyj.jpg whos taken on it apparently.

Also i found this text"The third is a cargo ship named the Josie J which sunk in between 50 and 70 meters of water in West Bay, Roatan. This wreck is reserved for those divers with advanced training." on Dive sites Roatan – scuba diving, coral reef, fish, Marine Park

The background on it though . can probably be found here on Scubaboard somewhere i think. (going to look for it now)

THIS was Posted on CoCoChat last night:

"Did a drift dive from 40 pt past Valley of the Kings

Valley of the Kings crack is complete...not a swim thru but cracked all the way to the wall...we all were shocked to see that

Tulio's sponges are gone...his memorial is there...no sponges...poof gone

MANY MANY MANY huge sponges just sheared off at the base...as if the top part of the sponge remained stationary in the water when the earth just shimmied back and forth and sheared them off at the base...

STILL hearing the ocean floor move...weired noise we are all hearing underwater...like distant sonic booms reminding me of rolling thunder...you can feel the concusions in the water...creepy

Much damage to the corner of Nuemans' wall near the bouy to the PA

PA buckled split LARGE holes...it is still spewing rust clouds...even at this hour...

DON'T even know where to begin to describe the damage at CCV wall...it seems at about 70 feet a HUGE sheer of wall went wayyyyyyy down to the bottom of the ocean....still a huge soot cloud of sand....

The wall looks like giant white potato chips broken off and only the edges are exposed

In the same general area at about 45 feet big OL' chuck of wall sheared off...

Tomorrow will be going to Mary's place...will let you know what we see there...

I'm sure that Harold or Liz can better describe since they know every underwater landmark asif they are traffic signs...

It is quite humbling to see massive coral heads that look like they exploded or strewn yards away from the original place...many chunks upside down...ugly 2000 year old petrified coral exposed for fish feeding....

Almost too much to explain...

"

:shocked2::crying::cussing::furious::praying::sad::crying2::nailbiter::shocked2::shakehead:

STILL hearing the ocean floor move...weired noise we are all hearing underwater...like distant sonic booms reminding me of rolling thunder...you can feel the concusions in the water...creepy

Wow, that's amazing. Can you imagine if you had been underwater when the quake hit? I bet that would be loud! Might cause permanent hearing damage, or worse...

:shocked2::crying::cussing::furious::praying::sad::crying2::nailbiter::shocked2::shakehead:

And see, I don't look at it that way at all.

It is part of the natural evolution that is the Earth. I've heard loud cracks many times u/w at Roatan, a couple have matched up with reports from those on-shore reporting temblors, but those were just "pops".

People get all worked up over Hurricanes, but I love to show up after it's all settled back-down and see how the reef is evolving. Right now is the time to go!

Stasis, or the sameness that we consider to be normal, is merely an illusion caused by our short individual life spans. Stuff changes.

I wish I was there right now and gaping at what has occurred. We usually wait a year between CCV trips, but that just got moved up!

Ongoing reports of dive terrain are at Under Water: What has changed since the Earthquake? Report in here.... - CoCo Chat

Last edited:
I agree with you, it is evolution and fascinating, but it also brings up in me all those emotions! I would like to be there right now too, but .... I am sure those there NOW are feeling very nervous and anxious. So I have very mixed feelings about it.
Having seen the destruction of the reefs of Cozumel from that ugly hurricane, I am crossing my fingers for Roatan! Tourism will die off, much like it did in Coz, with reports of massive reef destruction.
I am waiting and hoping to hear some good news.

Thanks for the reports. Quite disturbing info but one must remember the power of mother nature and that these things are natural occurrences and have been for milllenia and eons - and will be.

It is true that Coz reefs are not what they were prior to recent hurricanes. I am sure it is similar in T&C and I know it is a fact for the reefs of Bonaire after TS Omar in October 08. Just nature at work.

Hope someone can post some photos.

Hey. have dove all those spots mentioned many times, and nI am sorry to hear that they were changed, (I used changed, instead of destroyed, as you cannot change the reef, it simply changes) I can''t wait to go down an look at what has transpired. Sorry to hear about some of the walls though, as they were, IMHO the best in the Carib. And to hear the PA split!!!!! man I got to go down and see that..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom