6351 question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is/wad my understanding that although all pressure vessels are subject to SLC like 6351 alloy cylinders, but 6351 alloy cylinders fail catastrophically compared to other alloys.

Is this not the case?

-Z

It is/wad my understanding that although all pressure vessels are subject to SLC like 6351 alloy cylinders, but 6351 alloy cylinders fail catastrophically compared to other alloys.

Is this not the case?

-Z
The internet is so clogged with alloy 6351 stories that I cannot find any scholarly articles on Sustained Load Cracking aside from:
"Sustained load cracking or SLC is a metallurgical phenomenon that occasionally develops in pressure vessels and structural components under stress for long periods of time.

This is highlighted in aluminum vessels under pressure, such as diving cylinders.

Sustained load cracking are not a manufacturing defect, this phenomenon is associated with the specific alloys and conditions:

• Abuse and mechanical damage.
  • 6351 aluminum alloy. (6351 алюминиевого сплава)
  • Overload due to excessive filling pressure."
So it seems that it may occasionally occur in other pressure vessels, but any data is hard to find.

And my materials science textbooks are stored away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom