60mm / wet diopter for pt ep10? TRAY? ARMS? AAAAAHHH!! only meant to buy a compact...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taffynet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
ok, so I only meant to get a cheap compact. then I some how ended up with an e pl5.
confused.gif
then I realised how much the housing was. then I realised how many more accessories are needed ( who knew some simple bits of plastic that probably cost pennies to make are so expensive? I mean, roll on 3d printing...)

anyway, i've begged/ borrowed/ stolen/sold half my other possesions on ebay, and have most of the parts now. the main point of going for the e pl5 was I saw some beautiful, sharp images that had been taken with the new 60mm lens. and I really want to take macro images, otherwise it would have been sony rx100.

what are the pros/cons of using the 60mm versus a wet diopter with the 14-42? what are the biggest things you can photograph with the 60mm?

if a wet diopter, which are cheapest, and what is a good "quick snap on/off" type attachment? is the ptmc-01 worth getting? or are others better?

although I wouldn't mind using the 60mm on land too... but maybe there are cheaper lenses from other brands I could use on land?

also, I have a ys-02 strobe, what's the cheapest plate/arm system? does it really need to add buoyancy? it's only a small setup, not sure of in water weight, but can't be too bad. or do people try to have cameras that float up if lost?

THANK YOU :)

ok, so I only meant to get a cheap compact. then I some how ended up with an e pl5.
confused.gif
then I realised how much the housing was. then I realised how many more accessories are needed ( who knew some simple bits of plastic that probably cost pennies to make are so expensive? I mean, roll on 3d printing...)

anyway, i've begged/ borrowed/ stolen/sold half my other possesions on ebay, and have most of the parts now. the main point of going for the e pl5 was I saw some beautiful, sharp images that had been taken with the new 60mm lens. and I really want to take macro images, otherwise it would have been sony rx100.

what are the pros/cons of using the 60mm versus a wet diopter with the 14-42? what are the biggest things you can photograph with the 60mm?

if a wet diopter, which are cheapest, and what is a good "quick snap on/off" type attachment? is the ptmc-01 worth getting? or are others better?

although I wouldn't mind using the 60mm on land too... but maybe there are cheaper lenses from other brands I could use on land?

also, I have a ys-02 strobe, what's the cheapest plate/arm system? does it really need to add buoyancy? it's only a small setup, not sure of in water weight, but can't be too bad. or do people try to have cameras that float up if lost?

THANK YOU :)

Why would you want the cheapest diopter if you want quality images?
The Oly adapter works but is in the way when you are not using it. I ordered a flip diopter holder form a place overseas tha I will be picking up from the post office tonight.
It was 149 shipped but appears to be well made. I'll send you a pic of it tonight when I get home.

I have an E-PL5 in stock Oly housing, with 14-42mm, 60mm, and 12-50mm lens, +10 Subsee diopter, and Sea&Sea YS-D1 strobes.....I also considered the RX100, but shoot more macro so ended up with the Oly....

The 60mm lens is awesome to use, you can take slightly larger pictures if you want (ex, fish portraits) if you set the lens to .19-infinity setting...However, the larger the subject, the more water/distance you'll have between the camera and subject so you'd need to crank up the strobes....I don't really bother shooting fish with this lens....The Subsee is excellent, although I kind of wish I got the +5 instead of the +10......

I have the olympus PMLA-EP01 macro adapter that I use with the Subsee, however I recommend something else like the Reefnet swing adapter system for convenience.....The PMLA-EP01 snaps on/off, but I haven't figured out a good way to stow it when not in use, pain in the @$$ to put in/out of my drysuit pocket....

I always carry the diopter with me, even when using the 14-42mm lens, in case I spot something super small on my dive. They work well together, but focusing distance is extremely small and you have to get right up to your subject (which is fine for nudibranch, but not for anything skittish).

I'm still working out buoyancy of my rig since my focus light is extremely heavy, but w/o the light the camera/housing itself is pretty light underwater....You will probably need some sort of buoyancy to make your rig neutral, but shouldn't be much.

The 60mm is a very sharp lens, a wet diopter with the 14-42 will produce softer images and have issues of chromatic aberration moreover your working distance will shorten and this may end up being a problem with skittish fish

Here's what I just picked up...
buny2ure.jpg
vujeqevu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you get this? Thnx

Thanks for the advice, it's really appreciated.

I'm wary of going overboard with all this and turning camera dives into dives that are just about hunting for pictures. prefer just normal dives with the occasional picture if something really catches my eye. plus sometimes it's nice just to watch a creature from a distance and not do anything to affect what it's doing, and just be in the moment. I love beautiful images, but I don't want to photograph everything. if I miss a photo because it's the wrong lens that day, it doesn't matter to me. so the priority is image quality and a 60mm and a wider angle one WOULD be ideal. only have one strobe, but there's fantastic light and vis and corals in a couple feet of water where I'm going on holiday, so could use wide angle there. and 60mm is best lens for here in u.k. although there is one very tame seal on a local beach which likes to get very close and nibble on your hands and reg hoses. she would need a pretty wide angle lens to get all those whiskers in...

BUT I can't afford these unless I see a very good deal second hand.

I've heard too strong a diopter is harder to use when you're learning? I'm used to doing tasks underwater and carrying stuff, and can maintain position without having to focus on it, but haven't used cameras much. how good is the INON UCL-165M67?

and if I do find a second hand 60mm, do you really need the focus gear?

that's a very nice looking snappy on lenses thingy.

interceptor, I saw your pictures with the rx100 on a different thread, and they're awesome. all those gorgeous colours...

thanks, net :)

Back
Top Bottom