6 left on Amazon Body Glove (Nautilus) Lifeline Handheld VHF Radio with GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too bad their timing didn't send them drifting north as a ferry was crossing their path. Big channel if you catch the wrong current. Mayan women used to row across, but I think they started at Tulum, returned up towards Cancun.

They STILL do it every year, leaving from Xcaret and coming to the island and rowing back the next day.

What would you say? Locals? That includes expats with more resources.

:facepalm: now you are saying the 'natives' are all poor?

It's not a common risk. I think it's a good idea, but you carry what you think.

:( Really? I have provided you with the great opening to tout :poke: the PLB as you have SO MANY times in the past and you give Ron Lee a pass. :surrender:

They STILL do it every year, leaving from Xcaret and coming to the island and rowing back the next day.
Wow, such adventurers. They can't do the pilgrimage on a ferry?

now you are saying the 'natives' are all poor?
Nope, I asked you what term you preferred. Many native watermen do take risky boats because they can't afford modern technology. What is your issue here?

Really? I have provided you with the great opening to tout :poke: the PLB as you have SO MANY times in the past and you give Ron Lee a pass.
He's carried on in the wild for many years longer than I have, and he dives with one the Op using superior technology, so not much to argue about. I'm curious which PLB he carries that is "too large given my carry-on mode of travel," as the current ones are so small and so affordable. Replacing a battery on the old, larger PLBs has to be more than the $169 after rebate that Hodges Marine is offering Ocean Signal Rescueme 406 Mhz Gps Plb and the Rescueme with its 7 year battery is small enough to ride in a shirt pocket.

I have been impressed that the TSA people don't have any problems when they see mine, or worse - as me to turn it on. I will continue to criticize those lost at sea or on land who don't bother carrying one. I wonder how this guy was so trapped that the couldn't get out of the other door, if he could get the beacon to a clear sky view? ODOT: Man rescued from crash two days later

I believe it is a Camera housing, don't remember the brand right now but any truly waterproof enclosure that has room for a small handheld VHF with DSC (digital warning signal) will do. That digital signal can be broadcast in the time one is at the top of a swell, and goes to both the Marine Rescue people in Cozumel as well as Marine Radios in our boats which are all equipped with DSC.

Now keep in mind we do not go through all of this for close in "normal" dives, but for those sites north of Barracuda which includes our Polar Express and the Shark Caves (in the mid channel) we are extremely conscious of the risks involved and do all we can to avoid problems. This now includes 8 ft tall, 22 inch circumference SMBs for all divers.

BTW, the soon to be released Nautilus GPS units will broadcast DSC—at least that is what they say!

Dave Dillejhay
Aldora Divers

Thanks for the details, Dave! I've also heard of divers using canister lights to house assorted extra items as another option. I'm still deciding what my preferred option will be, but always good to see other folks solutions.

Karl

Nope, I asked you what term you preferred. Many native watermen do take risky boats because they can't afford modern technology. What is your issue here?
I was trying to make fun of your imperialist dogma, but you drained the fun out of it. Forget it.....:(

He's carried on in the wild for many years longer than I have, and he dives with one the Op using superior technology,

I expected you to go after them for not having a PLB as part of their superior technology. Swing and a miss....:(

Of course Dave did prove my point that a VHF with alert is so much more useful than a PLB with only the nuclear option, but "I" only want to harass the boat captain. Him, its ok.... :cry:

imperialist dogma
Mine? I have thoughts about how Mexican government works, but it's their country so I try to keep quiet.

I have a McMurdo Fastfind (maybe Plus version) and their dive canister.

I am guessing that my PLB is three to four times the volume as current consumer PLB models.

I also got it with free lifetime battery replacements. I have replaced the battery at least twice.

I also paid about $550 for it which is about double what you can buy smaller units today.

I am a proponent of the PLB concept especially when you get a version that transmits the GPS location. There is no need for a search when the SAR folks have that information.

Calling the use of a PLB the "nuclear option" makes sense. I have no desire to use it but you see many cases where people might have been saved if they had used one.

One of the most recent is the On Isla Mujeres boat. Then there are the people who climb mountains in the US northwest who get caught in a storm and SAR has no idea where they are.

Or a hiker who gets lots in the wilderness. Or a couple who gets lost on a back country road and die because of weather.

I do not use it traveling to work. Or the grocery store. Or Home Depot. But I do use it hiking in less populated areas and would traveling by car on a long distance trip.

Of course Dave did prove my point that a VHF with alert is so much more useful than a PLB with only the nuclear option, but "I" only want to harass the boat captain. Him, its ok.... :cry:

I do not know the operational limitations of that system (VHF/DSC) but I suspect that it is not ideal for all users. Sure it allows you to maybe avoid the PLB "nuclear option" but the nuclear option is OK to use when needed. Life or death...activate the PLB.

Last edited:
We plan on kayaking up here during the summer months so our PLB1s will come in handy. Just have to figure out how to attach it to our PFD's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom