6 left on Amazon Body Glove (Nautilus) Lifeline Handheld VHF Radio with GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dear Chief,

Yes we have had them for several years, indeed a bunch of them, and they all turned to crap while we were doing everything we could to provide safety for our Adventure Divers at the Shark Caves. WE now carry a conventual Radio/GPS for only the DMs. That can be seen by the boat and Mexico Rescue. WE do have the Nautilus GPS on order for all of our divers to carry but we don't know when they will be in. WE do have 8ft SMB for all divers.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Hi Dave,

May I ask what sort of scuba-proof 'container' your DM's are using to be able to carry (and dive to depth with) the mentioned 'conventional radio/GPS devices ?

Thanks!

Last edited:
All other dive sites on the west side I can wait for a boat or surface swim to shore.

That is what the Mau people said too.
... but I guess they are beyond the resources of some natives.

The "natives"???

:facepalm:

But weren't they in the middle of a channel crossing when the boat broke up?

Exactly. The two situations are not even remotely comparable.

Well.... boat sinks suddenly with an outward north current anywhere? could end up the same right?

You never been pulled to the blue water? No boat, communication and current could be the same right?

1) My situation: Me with my dive boat gone. No other divers near. Dive site Palancar.

Other dive boats are usually around or may within minutes. Shore is 1/4 to half mile away.

2) Mau incident: In the middle (roughly) of the channel crossing. Other boats....maybe a ferry unless they were north of it. Land 3 plus miles away. Perhaps five or six miles away. Only option for surface swim is the the mainland. I don't have a way to guesstimate progress towards shore as the current is moving you northward.

Again, have to never dove with an north west current? I have.

If this is such a serious threat why aren't all dive shops using PLBs and handing them out to every diver?

If you choose to carry a PLB or similar on every dive I would not fault you for it. I just do not see that the risk merits it.

Hi Dave,

May I ask what sort of scuba-proof 'container' your DM's are using to be able to carry (and dive to depth with) the mentioned 'conventional radio/GPS devices ?

Thanks!

I believe it is a Camera housing, don't remember the brand right now but any truly waterproof enclosure that has room for a small handheld VHF with DSC (digital warning signal) will do. That digital signal can be broadcast in the time one is at the top of a swell, and goes to both the Marine Rescue people in Cozumel as well as Marine Radios in our boats which are all equipped with DSC.

Now keep in mind we do not go through all of this for close in "normal" dives, but for those sites north of Barracuda which includes our Polar Express and the Shark Caves (in the mid channel) we are extremely conscious of the risks involved and do all we can to avoid problems. This now includes 8 ft tall, 22 inch circumference SMBs for all divers.

BTW, the soon to be released Nautilus GPS units will broadcast DSC—at least that is what they say!

Dave Dillejhay
Aldora Divers

Too bad their timing didn't send them drifting north as a ferry was crossing their path. Big channel if you catch the wrong current. Mayan women used to row across, but I think they started at Tulum, returned up towards Cancun.

The "natives"???

:facepalm:
What would you say? Locals? That includes expats with more resources.

If this is such a serious threat why aren't all dive shops using PLBs and handing them out to every diver?

If you choose to carry a PLB or similar on every dive I would not fault you for it. I just do not see that the risk merits it.
It's not a common risk. I think it's a good idea, but you carry what you think.

Back
Top Bottom