6 Gilled shark??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hornby island is the best place to go for six gills.

Last edited:
There's a place to go for six gills?!?!

There's a place to go for six gills?!?!

I was going to ask the same thing. Not sure where there is a good place to go. I have yet to see one.

Unicorns and 6 gills, I see them all the time :D Seriouly let me know if you see one after 25 years and over 1000 dives I have yet to see one. Like other mention Hornby island would be your best bet, I believe it's only during certain months of the year.

Al

One of my buddies Rob just saw one the other day diving in Barkley Sound with Rendevous Dive lodge. He said it swam within about 10 feet of him. I think he got a video clip & or pics of it. Maybe he will post when they get back today or tomorrow. Not sure which site he saw it at or what depth but <130fsw I'm sure.

Some of the guys I dive with say they have seen them in the Puget Sound, even Alki Cove 2 from what I hear. Granted, below 100fsw, but still...

The answer to your question is: Henderson, in Victoria. This is the time of year (August-September). They tend to be deeper, but people "routinely" see them in 70' at Henderson.

My understanding is that they haven't been showing up to Hornby in recent years. I spent three days looking for them and never saw one. On my first dive looking for one in Barkley sound I saw one at 110'. It took two very close passes by us (by buddy reached out and rubbed its side). I've seen loads of sharks in tropical waters, but seeing a six gill materialize out of the darkness was a experience I'll never forget.

There have been at least two sightings in Port Alberni (at China Creek) in the past couple of weeks.

There out there but, like Al said, most people put in hundreds of dives at these locations without ever seeing one. I'm willing to bet the sharks have seen Al though...

hrrrm all these sightings seem to happen deep.... has anyone ever studied What correlation might exist between unicor...err... six gill shark sightings and narcososis??:stirpot:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom