6 gill shark sighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henry

Contributor
Reaction score
North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
# of dives
My dive partner and dove Ogden on Thursday as our first dive and then headed over to Henderson Point (close to Sidney) for our second.

Despite dropping down to 90 feet to look for sharks, a beautiful 10 foot 6 gill found us at about 65 feet of water on our way back up. It was about 5 feet away and surprised us from behind.

Incredible experience. We tried to follow it but it only took about 2 seconds for it to disappear in to the dark. The vis was perfect for the dive too. It must have been 80 to 100 feet of crystal clear water.

Henry

Henry:
My dive partner and dove Ogden on Thursday as our first dive and then headed over to Henderson Point (close to Sidney) for our second.

Despite dropping down to 90 feet to look for sharks, a beautiful 10 foot 6 gill found us at about 65 feet of water on our way back up. It was about 5 feet away and surprised us from behind.

Incredible experience. We tried to follow it but it only took about 2 seconds for it to disappear in to the dark. The vis was perfect for the dive too. It must have been 80 to 100 feet of crystal clear water.

Henry

I have been seeing six-gills like crazy. I am 3 for 3 on my last 3 dives. Pretty sure it's the same one though.... about 7 feet long. First dive took me by suprise - he was about 10 ft below us. Second time I almost swam into him and then saw him again later on that dive. Both of those two dives we spotted it at about 80 ft. Yesterday vis was bad and we saw him at about 45 ft, he came up behind us and took a gander then left. Gotta love these sharks, they are incredible.

I thought six-gills were deep water sharks.....like stayed way down (>500 ft). Of course I could be wrong....I am from Indiana after all- no sharks here....we do have some big *** bluegills though :wink:

Henry:

Henry

Ahgg... I keep missing out of the days when the vis is good. I went last week to Spring Bay and couldn't see much past 15 feet.

Did you see anything interesting at the breakwater?

Kwissie:
I have been seeing six-gills like crazy. I am 3 for 3 on my last 3 dives. Pretty sure it's the same one though.... about 7 feet long. First dive took me by suprise - he was about 10 ft below us. Second time I almost swam into him and then saw him again later on that dive. Both of those two dives we spotted it at about 80 ft. Yesterday vis was bad and we saw him at about 45 ft, he came up behind us and took a gander then left. Gotta love these sharks, they are incredible.
WHERE WHERE WHERE????

medic_diver45:
I thought six-gills were deep water sharks.....like stayed way down (>500 ft). Of course I could be wrong....I am from Indiana after all- no sharks here....we do have some big *** bluegills though :wink:
Out in the northwest 6 gill come to shallow water in the late summer for some reason that no-one knows for sure. They are frequently sighted but although I have been looking I have not seen one this year.

They're thick as flies down here in Puget Sound this year as well. Saw one just yesterday. My buddy and I were checking out a couple sailfin sculpins tucked underneath a boat at about 55 fsw and I suddenly got that feeling ... like I was being watched. Turned around and there it was ... about 8 feet long ... doing a slow pass-by about 3 feet from our fins. I got my buddy's attention and motioned for her to look behind her ... she almost bumped into the darn thing in her excitement ... :D

Is it perhaps coincidence that the six-gills and the salmon always seem to show up at about the same time every year? Hmmmmm ... ???

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

They have been spotted all over recently. In BC, Kelvins Grove, Whytecliff, Porteau, Henderson Point now.... I have yet to see one, but going to Hornby next weekend. Hoping not to get skunked.

So far I've seen them at Kelvin. Love diving there but you gotta be sooooo quiet as not to upset the rather cranky rich people who live in the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom