6 days in Kailua Kona this May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that you need to do a day on the Hilo side - all the waterfalls and hikes through the rainforest are amazing! We had such a great time and we only spent a half day there! (We tried to do the volcano park for 1/2 day, waterfalls 1/2 day but it was very rushed and we didn't get to spend long enough at either)

Definitely go to "Place of Refuge" for at least for an hour or two. It is quite beautiful and historic and well worth the drive.

I will pipe in on the diving only. As someone said, you cannot see all the island in only a few days. I have spent a lot of time on great adventures and I still find new exciting things to look at and do.

As for diving. I really like jacks dive locker. $10 gets you a tank and all the refills you want in 24 hours. Not a bad deal. Then you can shore dive your self into a silly waterlogged mess.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/TBI/index.htm

I have done many of these dives and they are lots of fun.

Big island divers is less expensive if your headed far away and need more tanks.
Thier cost is $8 per tank and $4 for a fill so if your headed to Poako go to Big Island and pick up two tanks for $16.

Do the manta dive with Jacks and ask for Kellers boat.
He is THE expert on the mantas and you will not regret diving with him. He is a great guy.

What dates did you say your were going to be there?
I am in Kona from April 28th through May 12th.

Scooter

RonDawg:
Because on the mainland, we don't have any towns that were eaten by lava :wink: Buried in the ash and mud of Mt. St. Helens maybe, but certainly not swallowed by lava.

But you've got reservoirs covering what used to be towns... cool... but you don't see people paying attention to those until the resevoir dries up or is drained.

I've been to Kalapana once, in the overall scheme of my life it probably rated somewhere above my 1am drive by Gallup, New Mexico, but not by a whole lot. Not something I'll go out of my way to do again.

friscuba:
But you've got reservoirs covering what used to be towns... cool... but you don't see people paying attention to those until the resevoir dries up or is drained.

I've been to Kalapana once, in the overall scheme of my life it probably rated somewhere above my 1am drive by Gallup, New Mexico, but not by a whole lot. Not something I'll go out of my way to do again.

Yes, but the towns were evacuated before the water showed up. Not quite the same as hurriedly trying to get your possessions out before your house burns to the ground or you get surrounded by molten lava :11:

Just like you said, you can't visit the inundated towns until the water gets low. But when it does, visitors sometimes show up even though there's often no more than concrete foundations and roadway paving. It's no different than Kalapana.

You're right, there's not a lot to see of the town. And on my next visit to the Big Island, I probably won't go back there unless one of my travel companions hasn't yet seen it. But as I originally said, it's a testament to both the creative and destructive power of the volcano and to the mythology of Madame Pele.

I don't expect locals to get excited over it anymore than I do over the Hollywood Walk of Fame or Universal Studios :wink: The perspective of the tourist is almost never the same as that of a local who has to see it all of the time.

The reason they don't allow rental cars up on saddle road or on unpaved roads is the cost of the towing. I am not sure they will ever allow saddle road usage since it'll still cost a lot to bring a car down from up there... we will see. hope I'm wrong, since I take all my guests up there to see the lunar landscape and the summit of Mauna Kea.

I agree with Steve, keep your last day on the west side of the island so you don't stress out about making it to the airport. Pololu Valley is a pretty drive & hike, if you are fit enough. You can drive up to Waimea then take the drive up behind town over Kohala Mountain (hill) very scenic. Stop in Hawi (ha-vee) get some chow to go. Then drive to the dead end at Pololu & hike down to lunch on the beach. On the return take the coast road toward Mahukona & Kawaihae. If its late enough have early dinner at Cafe Pesto in Kawaihae (excellent) before driving back to return the car.

donnyb:
The reason they don't allow rental cars up on saddle road or on unpaved roads is the cost of the towing. I am not sure they will ever allow saddle road usage since it'll still cost a lot to bring a car down from up there... we will see. hope I'm wrong, since I take all my guests up there to see the lunar landscape and the summit of Mauna Kea.

I agree with Steve, keep your last day on the west side of the island so you don't stress out about making it to the airport. Pololu Valley is a pretty drive & hike, if you are fit enough. You can drive up to Waimea then take the drive up behind town over Kohala Mountain (hill) very scenic. Stop in Hawi (ha-vee) get some chow to go. Then drive to the dead end at Pololu & hike down to lunch on the beach. On the return take the coast road toward Mahukona & Kawaihae. If its late enough have early dinner at Cafe Pesto in Kawaihae (excellent) before driving back to return the car.

Several of the rental agencies have eliminated the Saddle Road restriction.
I know Alamo no longer has that stipulation in the contract.
Off road is still a no no

Agree with lot’s to see – and suggest concentrate one area. From what you’ve indicated are current goals of dive and spend one day on a look see with Volcano mentioned:
Get Big Island Revealed and sticky labled page mark what you want to do and the little maps of locations, particularly ‘Volcano Sights’.
For last non-dive day hit the road at 7am to Volcano, pull off to any scenic points, get to the Volcano Visitor Center, observatory and Jaggar Museum. Follow crater rim drive checking out all the short hikes and drives to spots. I highly suggest hiking the Kilauea Iki Trail counter clockwise ending up at the uphill switchbacks last and cool off in Thurston Lava Tube. If into wines taste at Volcano Winery.
I like to time return to (go back to Kona same way) hitting South Pont vicinity near to sunset and get that Belt Road sunset pleasure and utter blackness in. (Some people fid the dark portion very disturbing however.)

Sorry I got sidetracked by another dive trip I just took... There's a lot of information here. I did purchase Big Island Revealed so I will take a look at that. I'm still debating on the dive op to use, but I have some time to decide. Thanks for the info!

I ended up going with Jack's Diving Locker. Keller is one funny DM! He is also an expert on Mantas. The Manta Night Dive was one AMAZING experience. I recommend it to everyone visiting Kona!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom