5mm vs 7mm Wetsuit in Germany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

countermeasure

Registered
Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm thinking about getting my OWD soon and wanted to ask which thickness i should choose when diving at home in Germany.
I'm pretty cold resistant and feel totally fine swimming in the atlantic during the winter wearing nothing but shorts. At my first dive in Portugal a few weeks back, we went down to 5m wearing 7mm while the water was about 13°C, didn't feel cold at all, neither after half an hour or while jumping in.

I'm currently looking at the mares flexa 865 / 543 as a first wetsuit and want to combine it with a mares x-vision ultra liquid skin gold mirrored and a pair of mares avanti quattro plus fins.

What would you recommend as a beginner's ABC kit at those conditions?

Greetings

7 mm will give you a longerdive season. Diving is different from swimming. You are in the water for longer and go and stay deeper. Are you planning on lake diving or are you going in the North Sea? Both of them will be significantly cooler than Portugal. You can always renta suit for the first dive or two and try things out. But my guess is 7mm will be a better value.

Both actually, I got family living on the coast of the northern and eastern sea. But most of the time I'll spend in the lakes near the dutch border.

So your advice is to go with a 7mm, but rent one first to check it out before buying my own?

Ok, in Portugal i never felt uncomfortable in their 7mm, under the water at least.
What can you tell me about the Mares Flexa? Or can you recommend one?

Sorry for doublepost, in Germany they recommend me the Waterproof W4. Is it any good?

When purchasing a quality wetsuit the most important thing is fit. The question is what will fit better the Mares or Waterproof? Also remember you will also need a hood and gloves.

I'm currently looking at the mares flexa 865 / 543 as a first wetsuit and want to combine it with a mares x-vision ultra liquid skin gold mirrored and a pair of mares avanti quattro plus fins.

What would you recommend as a beginner's ABC kit at those conditions?

Greetings
Hi,

I dived in the U.K. for 8 years in a 8mm semi-dry, a wetsuit with dry seals. When I did switch to a drysuit it increased my enjoyment and the number of dives I would do in a day.

A 7mm suit will be 3.5mm at 10m and 2.33mm at 20m depth. Lakes are much colder at depth < 7’C so my recommendation is to learn in a drysuit.

Hi countermeasure,

I dive in the Netherlands, sometimes close to the German border and coincidentally I also have a Mares 865 ( very happy with it ! ) and the answer is ... depends.
In fresh water there are steep thermoclines ( i.e. sudden changes of temperature ). Last weekend there were ~20 C at surface, and 12 C at -7m
Consider also that diving is not like swimming : you try to move sloooowly in the water, your body does not warm up with the exercise.
If you plan to dive only in the summer months and not going to deep ( OWD limits ) you will probably be fine. We also have only 7mm wetsuits for our students and they also seem to be ok.
If you plan to keep diving in the winter, you need a drysuit. We do not bring students in the winter months in the water ( unless they insist ;-) )

Good luck with you OWD !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom