5MM+hood w/vest for 60f?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwaters

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a nebbie (17 dives)that have not been able to find a off-the-rack suit and looking at custom ordering and most of my dive will be in So. Cal. I am tired of the worn out rentals etc. I have not gotten cold even @ 98' 60f with a old 7MM full suit....so my question is: if I go with a 5mm suit and add a 7mm hood with attached
3mm vest, do I get the warmth of a 8mm on the right parts? Any input would be good for those that do this or heard of such. Thanks in advanced. :14:
dwaters "aka Muddy"

The layering will work as you describe and even better. The vest will mute the seepage of the back zipper by forming a labyrinth. It will also effecively take the neck opening out of the leakage equation. If you can get the vest done with a "skin in" material so it clings to you so much the better. The wetness between the layers has no insulating value but it is a buffer.

Let me caution you though...
When you reduce the protection on your arms and legs you will be loosing heat energy. While those limbs may not feel cold they will be dropping heat and your extremeites (hands and feet) may start getting cold.

Is 60F the coldest water you will explore?

My summer ocean suit here in Maine is al 7mm fullsuit with a 5/3 hooded vest. I'm very comfortable into the mid 50s before really noticing the water temperature.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom