5mm gloves? - SoCal diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, all. I recently did some relatively deep dives in what my computer said 59-60 degrees. It felt colder. My 3mm gloves may have been inadequate. I bought some 5 mills, but they do seem awkward, like I have cookie dough stuck to my fingers. Oh, well. I'll try them out.

Thanks for all the replies!

SharkDZ:
Hey, all. I recently did some relatively deep dives in what my computer said 59-60 degrees. It felt colder. My 3mm gloves may have been inadequate. I bought some 5 mills, but they do seem awkward, like I have cookie dough stuck to my fingers. Oh, well. I'll try them out.

Like all new scuba equipment, you gotta give it several dives to get used to them. :wink:

ohhh....don't forget to get some LOBSTERS :D

SharkDZ:

Try the Henderson Insta-Dry gloves. I wear my 3mm gloves in SoCal year round, and love them. Enough dexterity to pick up a dime, as the ads say, and IMO they're as warm as some 5mm gloves I've worn. If the 3mm is insufficient for you, try their 5mm gloves... they would probably be far warmer, and offer far more dexterity, than most 5mm gloves you could try.

scubalaurel:
But winter is when one goes LOBSTER hunting...why else would anyone dive in the brrrrrrrr freezing waters???????:confused:

duh.....:shakehead

I think SoCal has good diving overall in the winter. As long as the weather is good, the viz is frequently better than in the summer. Plus, I figure the water is still warmer than it is in NorCal in the summer. You just have to dive on boats with a hot tub!

Being that once i hit the thermocline today and the water was 55 degrees in Lajolla , does anyoneknow of a WARM 5MM glove or should i go 7mm . Yes i hate the cold , maybe even have to go dry.

terrasmak:
Being that once i hit the thermocline today and the water was 55 degrees in Lajolla , does anyoneknow of a WARM 5MM glove or should i go 7mm . Yes i hate the cold , maybe even have to go dry.
If you're that cold, yes, go dry. Or save a couple thousand dollars and try the Henderson InstaDry 5mm gloves first. Warmest ones out there until you go dry, IMO.

If they don't cut it, go dry, or give up all hopes of manual dexterity and go thick.

scubalaurel:
But winter is when one goes LOBSTER hunting...why else would anyone dive in the brrrrrrrr freezing waters???????:confused:

duh.....:shakehead

If diving in 3mm gloves is even remotely an option the water is not"freezing". :)

spectrum:
If diving in 3mm gloves is even remotely an option the water is not"freezing". :)
I highly doubt we will ever have 'freezing' waters in SoCal, it just shows you that some peoples idea of what is 'cold' are way out of synch with others.:D
I don't think 55° is cold, but it can make your body cold after an hour or so unless you have the proper exposure protection.
If I were to do any ice diving, or winter diving in New England, I doubt I would even think about 3mil gloves!:11:

spectrum:

Tell that to my frost-bitten hands after being in the water for an hour and a half! :shakehead

scubalaurel:
Tell that to my frost-bitten hands after being in the water for an hour and a half! :shakehead

Just poking fun...

On a related note, yesterday my wife bought and tried a pair of Henderson 5mm Gold Core gauntlet gloves and was very impressed.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom