5ft reg hose instead of 7ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That picture is not correct. Here's why:

See how the hose goes behind that guy's left shoulder? Seems slick...until you trap it with your spg, a stage, or a deco bottle, or anything else over there. Having it come in front of the left shoulder eliminates all the above possibilities.

Also, a shorter hose on the backup with it goes over the shoulder will keep it from twisting and pulling against your mouth when you do need it.

I currently use a 5' miflex hose and it routes very nicely under the right arm and over the left shoulder. However, I will be taking the GUE-F course soon and my instructor said a 5' is adequate for some, but recommended using a 7' hose instead.

Sean

7ft is the generally accepted length for overhead environmnets, because it allows single file passage through tight spots while air sharing. In open water this is generally not an issue. 5ft is the next shortest generally available LP hose, so that's what has become fairly customary for OW set ups using the long hose. Like Awap, I find that 5 ft is a little too short, and I'm not a big person, so I imagine for many divers 5ft is pretty short. 66" would be perfect, but I have yet to find a hose that length. So, I use a coupler and simply join 2 LP hoses together. Sure, it adds a couple of o-rings (oops I mean deadly failure points) but until I can find a hose the right length I'll risk it.

If you're pretty serious about this you could get the coupler, and try several combinations of hoses until you find just the right length, and then order a custom length LP hose. I"m pretty sure you can get them right from the Trident catalog.

Thanks all, but, for me im sticking with my trusty 7ft, I saw the 5ft and di not like it, a bit too short for my liking.

Thanks for all the input here. I was going through the same thought process - 5' of 7'. I am 6'4" tall and I think it would be smart to go with the 7' in case I needed to share air and go single file. Don't do cave but maybe wreck penetration will be in my future. Started with the Halcyon BP/W so I was good there for a hog setup.

Just have to get the Miflex hoses now. Are those darn things priced locked? They are the same price everywhere I look online. The LDS are about 30% more so I don't think they are even getting a deal on them... I am looking at ordering up about 5 hoses so it would be nice to get them a little less expensive.

Thanks for all the input here. I was going through the same thought process - 5' of 7'. I am 6'4" tall and I think it would be smart to go with the 7' in case I needed to share air and go single file.

Actually the donee goes in front, so you need to make sure YOUR BUDDY has a long enough hose for your 6'4" height.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom