5ft reg hose instead of 7ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You wrap your hose around your neck?

The first time I saw this config, I thought the same thing. Why would you want something around your neck? What if a noobie has a OOA situation and swims over and just grabs your reg.:buggy:

I understand the theory behind the 7 ft hose and can see the benefit, but anything around my neck that can restrict my airflow scares me.

The long hose does not go around your neck! It comes up from the waist(or under the right arm), across the front of your chest, over your left shoulder, and behind your neck. To donate, or if someone grabs the reg, you just nod your head forward and the hose slips over the top. (Good reason for not having a snorkel in the way, though.)

This happens so many times with people trying to learn about this stuff on the net...

It goes behind the neck just like Ron Goodman says...

If you are unsure post a picture and we'll see for sure.

Edit: There's plenty of pictures out there so show how the hose is routed

You wrap your hose around your neck?

The long hose does not go around your neck! It comes up from the waist(or under the right arm), across the front of your chest, over your left shoulder, and behind your neck. To donate, or if someone grabs the reg, you just nod your head forward and the hose slips over the top. (Good reason for not having a snorkel in the way, though.)

I find a 5 ft hose to be a bit short, especially with my D-series regs. I'm using 63 to 66 inch hoses on my primaries with normal routing under my arm and around my neck.

I have seen a few people with the set up had it routed around their neck. Is this not the correct set up?

I have seen a few people with the set up had it routed around their neck. Is this not the correct set up?

That is the normal setup. And "around your neck" may be a bad description that could put some divers off. The hose comes under the right arm, across the chest, around the back of the neck and over the right shoulder. At that point, the reg should be able to hang down to your lower rib cage. That leaves plenty of length for full head movement. As long as you are not wearing a snorkel, the hose will slip over your head if someone really wants your primary by just lowering your head a bit.

AHH that clears it up. Behind your neck.

A buddy sent a picture of the correct routing. Sure enough , Behind the neck. His comment was " If your route it around your neck, you will be strangled. But you will never do that again"

the hose will slip over your head if someone really wants your primary by just lowering your head a bit. Ok makes sense.

This happens so many times with people trying to learn about this stuff on the net...
I am laying odds that the guys with the hose around their neck learned it off the internet.

Attachments

• DSC_5014.jpg
    DSC_5014.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 245
AHH that clears it up. Behind your neck.

snip

I am laying odds that the guys with the hose around their neck learned it off the internet.

Bingo... I've seen some pictures with the hose around their neck twice then to the mouth.

For me the 5 foot hose was easier to manage on the boat............

But it was a bit short when wrapped behind my neck so it pulled the reg to right side.......

A problem I don't have with my 7 foot hose........

6 more inches or so would be just right at least for me.............

M

The hose comes under the right arm, across the chest, around the back of the neck and over the right shoulder and in the mouth, this is how i use my 7ft, im well aware of how it goes. Wrap around the neck when asked this is how i meant it to be, not actually wrapping around my neck a few times, sorry for the confusion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom