50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi 61
Started diving at Uni in the early 70's
Stopped when work got in the way.
Started again in 1990, German, and Austrian Lakes, then the Caribbean. Now mainly in the Malaysia, Indonesia, etc.
I only dive warm water these days but addicted to underwater photography.

We have a diver in our club who just turned 85 and has been diving for more than 50 years. He and his wife are headed for Bonaire where he plans to dive to 85 feet to celebrate.

Good thing for him that he's on Imperial units. I don't think that matching my age with a depth in meters would be particularly advisable. Especially considering I dive a single tank setup and isn't trimix certified.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Good thing for him that he's on Imperial units. I don't think that matching my age with a depth in meters would be particularly advisable. Especially considering I dive a single tank setup and isn't trimix certified.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

How old would he be in metric years?

Hope the Old Farts doesn't refer to the gas we breathe?

Where do you live? Florida
Where do you dive? All Over North America and some other world locations
Favorite dive shop? The one I own called Aquatic Adventures of Florida and Genesis Diving Institute (GDI) in Zephyrhills
Current certification? Instructor Rec and Tech stuff (I have no social life diving is it)

85. What that would be in foot-years (or imperial years), I don't know. But I assume there's a factor of .3048 in there somewhere.

We may not be metric yet, but we are inching our way towards it.

- Where do you live? Midwestern US, Chicago is the nearest large city and airport
- Where do you dive? Mostly Caribbean and Florida, have also dived in the Red Sea, Hawaii; and Baja. The Cayman out islands, T&C, Bonaire, and liveaboards are among our favorite destinations
- Favorite dive shop? Scuba Emporium, Orland IL
- Current certification? OW; close to logging 600 dives

66, live in Baltimore and am retiring this spring. Most of my diving has been in the Caribbean with one trip to Hawaii. I'm interested in diving the Dry Tortugas. Any suggestions?

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?

Shocking! I just stumbled across this thread this AM.

Since the divers I see most often are 45 - 75 I can hardly believe anyone has trouble finding age 50+ divers. Really? Is is true?

Also why the "Grumpy"? In my experience the divers who are most likely to be grumpy, are the under 50's.

And why does it seem that the posts in this category assume older divers are men? Plenty of women over 50 are diving - some even start after 50. Many 50+ women come on my trips, either single or their husband either doesn't dive, had to quit diving, or doesn't like exotic liveaboard trips.

Back
Top Bottom