50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Age 52 years, 11 months, 10 days, but who's counting.

Even though certified in Sep 2004, only started diving in April 2007.

My dive buddy wife and I live in Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento.

Where do we dive? Yucatan, Cozumel, Monterey, Carmel, Lake Tahoe, CA north coast.

Favorite dive shop? Dolphin Dive Shop in Sacramento.

Current certification? AOW. Still figuring out what certs we want or need.

Dream dive vacations: Chuuk (Truk) Lagoon. Yonaguni, Japan. Bikini Atoll. USS Oriskany, Pensacola, FL (I'm an old Navy pilot).

Oh, what is diving like in Lake Tahoe? Daughter use to live in Zephyr Cove but never got to go diving.:(

Oh, what is diving like in Lake Tahoe? Daughter use to live in Zephyr Cove but never got to go diving.:(

Like diving in a big swimming pool with a sandy bottom. Pretty lifeless. A few crawdads. Big rocks in places, a few felled trees, and an occasional old speedboat wreck. It is a good place to log some clear water bottom time in the summer when the temp gets up to about 60-65 degrees above the thermocline, but there ain't much to see down there. Below the thermocline (about 45-50 feet on our last trip) the temp drops into the 40's REAL quick.

How deep does Tahoe get?

I like your aviation quote. An air traffic controllers mantra that should be remembered by divers is "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine".

Tahoe's deepest point is 1685 feet. An interesting bit of trivia. Carson City is at "the bottom of the hill" below Tahoe. The bottom of Lake Tahoe is about 80 feet BELOW Carson City's lowest point. Also, there's enough water in Lake Tahoe to cover every inch of California to a depth of 15 inches of fresh water.

Here's an interesting link on the dive sites around the lake.

Map

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?
Colorado Springs, CO
Nowadays mostly Cayman Brac, plus some “local” spots.
Underwater Connection, Colorado Springs
PADI IDCS Instructor

Turn 60, May 23
Dive mostly East end of LI, wrecks and beach
Mostly use Hampton Dive in Riverhead, NY
Tri-mix Level 1

How deep does Tahoe get?

I like your aviation quote. An air traffic controllers mantra that should be remembered by divers is "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine".

Real deep and cold.

See my signature line.

I think my version is a bit more to the point. It WON'T lead to an emergency for me, even though you might hope it will!

Gee I guess I might not be the oldest around. 62, started diving last summer, primarily local quarry in Kankakee IL. Did get in a couple of dives in Cancun last fall..

Colorado Springs, CO
Nowadays mostly Cayman Brac, plus some “local” spots.
Underwater Connection, Colorado Springs
PADI IDCS Instructor

We go to Colorado all the time but never think of diving there. Estes Park and Frisco are my favorite spots. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom