50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must have too many nitrogen bubbles in my brain--I can't figure out how to start a new post (I've done it several times before). Or maybe it's just old age but I feel like a youngster compared to some of you guys in this forum :wink:Can someone please tell me how to start a new post? I can't even find the "Help" button.

Do you want to start a new thread? Find the forum that is appropriate for the thread like "grumpy old divers" and click on it and you will see a blue button near the forum name that says "post new thread". Here's a screenshot, hope it helps.

sbnewthread.JPG

Last edited:
OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live? Gainesville Florida
Where do you dive? All Caves and Oceans
Favorite dive shop? Dive Outpost
Current certification?
Full Cave NSS/CDS TDI NACD
I will be 71 in July and I dive at least 2 times a week.

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?

52, certified in 2001
Live in NYC
Vacation diver, warm water. Did some local diving, did not find it interesting. I like to see marine life.
No favorite shop, but favorite destinations are Galapagos, Indonesia and Maldives
AOW and nitrox.

Well, January of 2017 put me in "the club" (turned 50). Been certified for >25 years (1988), and only been to warm water 4 times. Dive here at home in the Great Lakes (never enough), as I just don't know any better.... Been doing technical certs the last few years, and now have a certified daughter to splash along with me.

I spend much of my recreational diving using double hose regulators, with a collection that dates to the year of my birth. Drives the local shops nuts....

Last edited:
57, certified at age 55
Live in So Cal, most frequent spot Catalina
1st Warm dive this year in Cayman....love it. But live here and don't make enough--and don't want to work harder-- So warm water every 1-2 years.
Working on AOW, but don't really care at all about certs. Some boats (reportedly) won't take OW divers to mod advanced sites. * it's more about learning for me
I go to various shops for different reasons.

54, certified in 1988, enjoy diving with my daughter and my hubby, in Florida, Bermuda, Carribean, off cold waters of Cape Ann.
I love the easy warm waters, but I don't get sunburnt diving the northeast.
Live Eastern Mass, Love all the local Dive Shops, Certified to Rescue and Nitrox.

Hi. It looks like this thread is still fairly active, so...

I'm 57 and didn't realize I was old until I read this thread. Huh. I started free diving at Los Coronados islands (off Tijuana, Mexico) when I was 11, spent most of my time at La Jolla Cove when I was 13-15 and then started going to Scotsman's Cove (between Newport and Laguna, SoCal) around 15 and still go there. I got certified in 1969 by NAUI and went through the coarse again with my wife in 1983 just so I'd be sure they taught her right. I have no idea how many hours I have underwater--thousands? I used to like to spearfish while free diving but gravitated towards photography later on. Still have my spearguns though. I've been to Catalina several times but never took a diving vacation, mainly cause I'm afraid to get on an airliner and can't stand rock and roll and I figure if the plane doesn't crash then they'll be playing rock and roll everywhere when I get there. I don't use a dive computer or BC.

UPDATE: Since my first post in this thread back in 2010 I've gone to Maui, Big Island, Puerto Vallarta, Cozumel (twice), Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Costa Rica. I'm going to Puerto Vallarta on Saturday and no doubt will be back on Cozumel in December with probably some other flight inbetween. I guess I got over my fear of flying :wink: I also plan to dive Catalina Island (California) very soon plus I plan to do some lake diving in Minnesota this July. I am also no longer 57--I am 64. My girlfriend is getting certified in Puerto Vallarta so the next time we go to Kona she can go on the Manta Ray Night Dive too! I'd like to go to somewhere in Indonesia and also Bonaire. I have not been to Belize yet either but once I figure out how to get around there I will visit there too. It looked like it was a four hour drive from the airport to where I was thinking of staying and then you had to get a boat to get to the dive boat. Very complicated so I went to Cozumel instead.

As it turns out they DO play rock and roll everywhere but I've learned to deal with it. So far none of the planes have crashed but we do think the pilot got lost on the way to Liberia (Costa Rica) and we were in the air an extra 2 1/2 hours and the thought of running out of fuel did occur to everyone on the plane.

I bought a good, used BC to take on dive boats as they require it. I was renting but this one will pay for itself on one dive trip.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom