50 Y/o Newbie Taking Classes By Myself...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started at age 51 and found a local buddy through the shop. He moved 3-4 years later and I started diving solo. Boat dives in the Southern US meant I'm at the mercy of whoever is assigned to me as a buddy. Most of the time things went fine, both in my first few years and later. I did one week in Panama by myself (wife not a diver). Was lucky in that I was the only customer on the boat 4 of the 5 dive days. Maybe two of the quite a few "instabuddies" I've had were less than desirable. These are not things you should worry about, as it is what it is. As long as you are responsible for yourself. Well, you can search on SB for all the legal ideas about buddy responsibilities, but even as a DM, I just don't let any of that bother me. It's always a good idea to check out everything that may concern you when booking a trip or a day charter. Some want to know if smoking is allowed on board. Is there a head? Do you have a good place for dry stuff? So asking about buddy policy is always a good idea if you are concerned. If there is an odd number of divers, will there be a group of three? Is the divemaster in the water---can I pay for the DM to buddy with me? Usually I just pay my $100US plus $20 DM tip and show up.
Oh, as in a recent thread on the "real world", thorough buddy checks are a rarity. Make sure you do the kind of check you want with a new buddy--dive plan, gas, weight releases, alternate air share, signals--whatever you feel comfortable with.
Pretty much this. I dive a lot with my brother-in-law, but since he is hunting and I'm sightseeing, we often separate. Sometimes we will hook back up somewhere on the reef as he has a pretty good sense of where I'm going to be on my sightseeing tour, but frequently we meet back up at the boat. Eventually, diving solo just kind of happens and isn't a big deal once you are comfortable with being self-sufficient.

I haven't done it yet, but one of my friends raves about the Scubaboard invasion trips. You may want to consider this as well as a way of having a quality diving vacation.

I haven't done it yet, but one of my friends raves about the Scubaboard invasion trips. You may want to consider this as well as a way of having a quality diving vacation.
This does seem like a lot of fun and a way to meet lots of new scuba friends.

Last edited:
Thanks for any insight on what I might expect as an odd wo(man) out!
One additional thought: your local dive shop can be a real asset in finding other people like you, who are essentially going forward on their own. The shop may sponsor / be affiliated with a local dive club, or be able to steer you toward one in your area, where you have a chance to meet other divers. The shop may sponsor trips to warm Caribbean (or elsewhere) resorts, where you can go with a group of people who often naturally 'group up' on dives.

When I was certified, also later in life, I was fortunate to initially have a work colleague who became my dive buddy for a couple of years. But, after he moved away, I found myself buddying with several divers who I met only through our shop, and the affiliated dive club. Not only did my social circle expand substantially, and enjoyably, I found I had more than enough buddy opportunities locally, and when traveling (on shop trips) to the Caribbean. From the beginning (starting when I signed up for my OW class), I made a point of getting to know the shop staff, and particularly the owner, who became one of my best friends over the years. So, you can work on developing a buddy network locally, which will also serve you well when you travel.

I took the class when I was about 45 and lots of people get started much later. A brillant choice to get on with the rest of your life and enjoy it vastly more than you might have. Even though I knew we have a club system in my country, I never, ever EVER would have imagined how much of a social life and bonus to my personal life diving would be. Now my FB friends are either family, or 80% profile pics relating to diving (or both). Lots of divers love diving and are immediately favorably disposed towards anyone clever enough to feel the same way. So jump in the pond and I'm sure you'll find some buddies, maybe even straight from your OW class.

I did one trip (just a long weekend) last year with the dive shop I learned with and made some great friends on it. I keep in touch with them and should catch up in person on the next trip.

As Finnmom says , most divers are very happy to talk about diving with anyone that will listen (and often those who aren't) so as long as you don't hide yourself away, you should make some lasting friends.

I started my OW class on my 49th birthday ... that was 15 years and 3800 dives ago, so there's a lot to look forward to at that age.

My recommendation would be to look to expand your social circle to include diving friends. That can be done through local dive clubs, internet forums (ScubaBoard's a great way to meet divers, I've met many that I've gone on subsequent trips with), and many local dive shops promote local dives as well as trips to tropical destinations. Scuba divers tend to be a friendly lot ... many will be in the same situation you are, and eager to find someone they can plan diving trips with. It sometimes works out that you can find someone who also has a non-diving spouse, and that sometimes works out well as you have a dive buddy and your SO has someone who can share above-water experiences with while you're out diving.

Worst case, go on your trip prepared to pay for a dive guide. In some parts of the world (like Indonesia), they're not very expensive and at some resorts they'll be provided as part of the service. A dive guide also has the benefit of knowing where to look for the "good stuff" we all want to see when we visit some other part of the world.

Welcome to an exciting new world ... like a lot of us who got started late in life, be prepared to ask yourself why you waited so long ... :)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I started at 49, had a friend who did too, but never dived after certification because he was "always just about to" buy diver gear but never did.

So I relied first on dive trips with my dive shop, and thereafter on boat captains and Divemasters to help me find an "insta-buddy". It's been fine. At the beginning you are brand-new and your buddies will have more experience-good, you'll learn, pick someone who seems patient and level-headed.

Later on, you'll develop into the one with more experience, you can "pay it forward" with buddies with less experience.

I learned a lot from all these buddies, either by being taught, or "teaching". And the one or two bad buddies I've had, have at least been a useful lesson on what not to do, how to help when you can (I strongly recommend the Rescue Diver course), and how and when not to reflexively follow a buddy into trouble.

Now I'm 66, still happily diving with pick-up buddies.

You don't have to worry at all. It wont be awkward. Back uh...when I took my OW I did it alone without knowing anyone in the class and ended up meeting some cool people. It also prepares you for diving with random strangers in the future - which I am sure you will do. Like everyone else said - be the kind of buddy you want to dive with. Hopefully if you explain the types of rules/checks you want and expect - to your buddy, they will reciprocate. I'm moving back to Michigan in about a month (after 4 years of cave diving in Florida), I will dive with you if you get open water certified and are interested in doing so.

I second taking a rescue diver course, at some point.

Yeah, not awkward. The only times I felt a bit self conscious was my very first dive (will I put my rig together smoothly and not look like a knob?), and my first boat dive (will I do OK going down an anchor line to deeper depths and will I fit in with boat procedures?-- which aren't rocket science--you listen to instructions, make plans with an instabuddy and go with the flow).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom