5 Things You Will Love About Your Rescue Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can think of numerous cases where it would be deadly wrong to sit tight and wait for the cavalry to come just because a diver has been missing for more than 5 minutes. Like a diver entangled in a fish line or kelp. Then, the next question when the pros arrive after an hour and find the poor OOA: why didn't you look for her/ him? Hubris can kill too.

Sounds fine in theory Dody. I was on a night dive on a wreck in Brunei and came out of an open hole and got caught up in a fishing net. Not a fishing line but a net from a fishing boat. I had to remove my BCD and use my knife to cut myself free and it took some time and a lot of strength. The other divers stayed close by but I waved them off to not assist. They helped by providing extra lighting. First thing is be self reliant where possible and secondly did not need other divers getting caught in the same net. There is a reason sometimes that trying to help another diver ends up with two in trouble not just one. I did the rescue course not because I want to rescue anyone but because I should know how to help myself before worrying about others. My BSAC courses were in a club over many months of training. I re-did rescue with PADI and I can say this, there was a lot not taught in that course that I did with my BSAC course with my instructor. They are very different training programs.

The only serious incident I have had was with another BSAC Sports leader in Puerto Galera at the fish bowl dive site when the tie came of his mouth piece and he exhaled and the regulator came out and he inhaled water. We were deeper than 30m in a very strong current. His secondary had come off it's clip and when he swept for it could not find it. I was lucky we were really close together and he basically came with the current and just climbed on my back and took my secondary and in the process tipped us inverted and we got swept down into the bowl. There are probably other divers on scubaboard who have dived there who can tell you it can be a tricky dive even for experienced divers. We were accompanied by a PADI instructor who got separated from us at the time of the incident and just watched from above assuming the worst case scenario was about to happen. He did not risk himself which was a good thing really. He said he would have probably panicked knowing if he had gone into deco as he was not trained for that.

My buddy hyperventilated and I had to remove my regulator from his mouth so stop that. Hand to hand buddy breathing as taught in our BSAC courses. He knew what was happening and he held his hand on mine so he could put the reg back in but mostly I had control. It took several minutes for him to stop hyperventilating. We also went into unplanned deco as we also went very deep ( deeper than 40m ) and covered that obligation and ended the dive. He very nearly drowned and I didn't hear it I just heard some spluttering after he had climbed on me. We both did not panic but it was close for my dive buddy who is also a good friend I had known for several years in Taiwan. We were not instabuddies which was a good thing. Good thing BSAC Sports leader courses are to deco dive on air to 50m way back in the good old days lol.

You just never know how assisting a diver in distress is going to turn out as you really cannot plan for it. You should not put yourself at serious risk and end up as one of the bodies being recovered and this should have been covered in your rescue course.
Death is a part of life. I've never had the experience of seeing a drowned diver although a few of my instructor friends have but they were not part of a rescue team. People are very sentimental about life it seems.

In the end we all come to be cured of our sentiments. Those whom life does not cure death will. :)

I can think of numerous cases where it would be deadly wrong to sit tight and wait for the cavalry to come just because a diver has been missing for more than 5 minutes. Like a diver entangled in a fish line or kelp. Then, the next question when the pros arrive after an hour and find the poor OOA: why didn't you look for her/ him? Hubris can kill too.
When I said pros I did not mean the PSD team. Pros would be instructors, DMs, boat crew, etc. Not someone who took a recreational rescue course and has a card saying rescue diver. The dive pros would organize and direct the search.
If I didn't know the diver with the rescue card and I was the on site supervisor I would not have them doing anything in the water,

I had an experience at Deep Dive Dubai. You can’t use your own BCD there so for the first time in my life, I dived Wings and Back plate. However, you can dive your own regulator. Mine is DIN. Their bottle had a Yoke fitting so I asked for a change and we wasted 15 minutes. During the pre-dice check, I realized that the bladder did not stay solid like my own jacket BCD. So I told the DM. I showed him and he decided that it was normal. I was not sure but could not decide. It was my first Wing so maybe I was overracting. What convinced to do the dive was that he told me: you are a rescue diver, you can handle it. In retrospect, this is one of the stupidest things that I did. The dive was uneventful but I should have asked for another one. Being at 30 m with a non functioning BCD and without a DSMB is not a something that I would like to experience even though there are plenty of objects that you can grab at deep dive Dubai.

I had an experience at Deep Dive Dubai. You can’t use your own BCD there so for the first time in my life, I dived Wings and Back plate. However, you can dive your own regulator. Mine is DIN. Their bottle had a Yoke fitting so I asked for a change and we wasted 15 minutes. During the pre-dice check, I realized that the bladder did not stay solid like my own jacket BCD. So I told the DM. I showed him and he decided that it was normal. I was not sure but could not decide. It was my first Wing so maybe I was overracting. What convinced to do the dive was that he told me: you are a rescue diver, you can handle it. In retrospect, this is one of the stupidest things that I did. The dive was uneventful but I should have asked for another one. Being at 30 m with a non functioning BCD and without a DSMB is not a something that I would like to experience even though there are plenty of objects that you can grab at deep dive Dubai.
Curious-- Why don't they let you use your own BCD? Maybe they figure it's unsafe and ironically gave you a set-up that didn't function well?

Curious-- Why don't they let you use your own BCD? Maybe they figure it's unsafe and ironically gave you a set-up that didn't function well?
I think it’s about contaminating the water and bringing debris.

Edit: @Dody explained it in this thread:

You don't need a wing or a BCD to dive with. You have strong legs and fins and lungs. Anyway you are a DM now so handle it.

NO BCD.jpg

I think it’s about contaminating the water and bringing debris.

Edit: @Dody explained it in this thread:

Oh I see. This is a pool situation I see. Makes sense I guess.

You don't need a wing or a BCD to dive with. You have strong legs and fins and lungs. Anyway you are a DM now so handle it.

View attachment 706945
Well I guess it’s better not to have a BCD than having a non functioning BCD at depth, right? And I have never worked as a DM. Probably never will.

Well I guess it’s better not to have a BCD than having a non functioning BCD at depth, right? And I have never worked as a DM. Probably never will.

What convinced to do the dive was that he told me: you are a rescue diver, you can handle it. In retrospect, this is one of the stupidest things that I did.

You are DM certified so you work as one or not is not the issue. You have been trained yes? You were in a pool. Not like you were in a 3 knot down current in the ocean at deeper than 40m depth. That's a lot of fun diving.

Part of anyone's training is to decide whether or not to even start a dive or end a dive for any reason. We have seen in many of your posts you do things like being knowingly underweighted and following other divers and getting into trouble on your dives. I hope one day not to be asking on this forum where is Dody only to find out some mishap ended you on a dive. I would have thought that in that deep pool you were never in any serious trouble as you did have a dive partner yes? You are the one who decided to dive with a non functioning BCD. These are your decisions alone really. Anyway it's another experience you can chalk up to.

I got just the song for you Dody.

You are DM certified so you work as one or not is not the issue. You have been trained yes? You were in a pool. Not like you were in a 3 knot down current in the ocean at deeper than 40m depth. That's a lot of fun diving.

Part of anyone's training is to decide whether or not to even start a dive or end a dive for any reason. We have seen in many of your posts you do things like being knowingly underweighted and following other divers and getting into trouble on your dives. I hope one day not to be asking on this forum where is Dody only to find out some mishap ended you on a dive. I would have thought that in that deep pool you were never in any serious trouble as you did have a dive partner yes? You are the one who decided to dive with a non functioning BCD. These are your decisions alone really. Anyway it's another experience you can chalk up to.

I got just the song for you Dody.

Well, that’s a huge exaggeration. Out of my 100+ dives over a year on 4 continents, I only got in trouble once, that was not life threatening and that was over 50 dives ago. I was experimenting something stupid (being as light as possible with 3kg) and followed DM and buddy in a cavern and ended up at the ceiling 3 meters deep. Turns out, I should stick to a minimum of 5kg. We all do small mistakes. What is important is to learn from it and not to do the cunjunction of mistakes that may turn into a near miss or a life threatening situation (take a watch at the documentary « Il only… », you will understand what I mean). I like to do bump dives at 40m, dive in bad conditions (currents, washing machines, UW sand storms when visibility is not too bad) and some scream at it like some scream at divers who go to 50 meters with a single 15l (standard practise in France for level 3). What would you say to very experienced divers who forget to open valves, get OOA, lose their buddies, are overweighted, surface with less than 50 bars, panic, get overtasked or distracted under water? Never happened to me, very unlikely to ever happen and there are things that I refuse to do because I don’t feel it even when I am certified (the last 3): dry suit, cold waters, cave diving, wreck penetration, CCR, night dive, below 40m, deco dive.
So I am not as reckless as you think :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom