5 Things You Will Love About Your Rescue Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydrowicz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
No reason to fear; Rescue Divers are here! Of course, being able to save yourself and others in the water is vital, but what about the Rescue course itself? In the latest article from Ocean Pulse, dive instructor Alexandra Ward explains how the Rescue Course is not only valuable but a ton of fun!

1644099357675.png

No reason to fear; Rescue Divers are here! Of course, being able to save yourself and others in the water is vital, but what about the Rescue course itself? In the latest article from Ocean Pulse, dive instructor Alexandra Ward explains how the Rescue Course is not only valuable but a ton of fun!

View attachment 705514
Thanks for posting….. good review!

I’ve heard one diver confirm that she learned more from her Rescue Coarse than any other coarse she’s taken.

Having a good instructor for the rescue coarse Is a first priority, but can anyone suggest how to decide where to take a rescue coarse?

My wife hates when I say that I am a rescue diver. She believes that as I have never done it in real life several times, I am not trustworthy much like a surgeon who has only practised on corpses. Secretly, I hope that I will never have to use those skills. But if I have to, I will be ready. I rehearse every now and then… without the stress of the real situation.

My wife hates when I say that I am a rescue diver. She believes that as I have never done it in real life several times, I am not trustworthy much like a surgeon who has only practised on corpses. Secretly, I hope that I will never have to use those skills. But if I have to, I will be ready. I rehearse every now and then… without the stress of the real situation.
Yes absolutely. I have often posted over the years that I really have no idea how I would perform in a real emergency. There just is no way to practice that. I was lucky in my 4 years DMing OW courses that all I had to do once was a tired diver tow.
Of course, the Rescue Course manual advises you to find a buddy and practice the skills learned now and again. I admit I've never done that, and would guess that a majority of rescue divers -- and dive pros-- can say the same. I suppose if you are teaching the course you'd get practice that way.
But, it's the same as CPR. I review that regularly-- in case my wife is in trouble (or others I may be around). Yet the only time I've even SEEN it done has been on TV, and I'm 67. Better than taking a CPR course every 2-3 years and doing nothing in between I guess.

Been quite a while since I did my Rescue Diver course. I've always considered it as the best of the PADI courses by a long way. Finally get treated like an adult and get to use the skills you've gained whilst diving and attending previous courses (OW + AOW).

Whilst there's little question that some skills will fade, such as the EFR -- Emergency First Responder -- which makes sense to periodically re-take. The main things I took away after that course was that it's the first time you properly consider other divers; prior to that you're rather inward looking at your own skills and not those of other divers. Learning that you try to do your best in a bad situation where sometimes there are bad outcomes: you won't be blamed for trying (US litigiousness aside).

It gave me more confidence in what I did. Most of all it opened my eyes.

It is a hard course; or it should be a hard course as there's no point in treating people with kid gloves.

The main skill I still use to this day is being more observant of other divers. It's astounding how in the midst of many divers, someone can be in real trouble and nobody notices. Small thing last year; a person was clearly in stress and difficulties on the surface in a quarry. Jumped in with another and we did a tired diver tow; calming words and pulled him to the side to gather his breath and stand. Many others were there but hadn't noticed.

Of course, the Rescue Course manual advises you to find a buddy and practice the skills learned now and again. I admit I've never done that, and would guess that a majority of rescue divers -- and dive pros-- can say the same. I suppose if you are teaching the course you'd get practice that way.
Great advice! I actually give my OW students a "familiarization" with rescue skills for their own safety and to encourage them to take Rescue (Stress/Rescue -React Right under SSI).
But, it's the same as CPR. I review that regularly-- in case my wife is in trouble (or others I may be around). Yet the only time I've even SEEN it done has been on TV, and I'm 67.
Good plan. I've done CPR on people in my professional career (military/public safety) and it ain't the same! BUT, preparing will get you ready for the real thing. Just don't freak out when you hear those ribs break. That means you're doing it right! :)

Great advice! I actually give my OW students a "familiarization" with rescue skills for their own safety and to encourage them to take Rescue (Stress/Rescue -React Right under SSI).

Good plan. I've done CPR on people in my professional career (military/public safety) and it ain't the same! BUT, preparing will get you ready for the real thing. Just don't freak out when you hear those ribs break. That means you're doing it right! :)
Interesting that you familiarize your OW students with rescue skills. I did that for my OW diver (first) buddy years ago-- Just advice on what to do should I become unconscious at depth. I've always advocated for the basic important rescue skills to be par of the OW course. Best example is what to do with a panicked diver at surface (or even at depth)-- the specific procedures on how to knee cradle, how to flip them around to face you, etc. It's not rocket science and you wouldn't have to include every aspect of recsuing in the OW course. Some insist this is just too much to handle for Joe average OW student--or that it would make the course to long and cost them more money and they'd just skip it. Of course the odd agency and instructor does include the rescue skills in OW, or at least some of them.
Heck, even just reading about the skills would be better that nothing--better than just saying--"OK, you're certified, now team up with a classmate and go diving".
On the subject of reviewing rescue & CPR skills-- I don't know, but would imaging Public Safety Divers as well as Lifeguards must have to complete some sort or regular skills reviews, as opposed to once every 2-3 years for dive instructors/DMs-- much less just getting a Rescue card and never reviewing anything.

I've always advocated for the basic important rescue skills to be par of the OW course. Best example is what to do with a panicked diver at surface (or even at depth)-- the specific procedures on how to knee cradle, how to plip them around to face you, etc. It's not rocket science and you wouldn't have to include every aspect of recsuing in the OW course. Some insist this is just too much to handle for Joe average OW student--or that it would make the course to long and cost them more money and they'd just skip it.
The last pool session in the SSI course is pretty light. It's pretty much a final "get ready" for the OW dives. They've already done diver tows (fatigue, ect) and assisting buddies at the surface (bob and fill). I show them how to control a panicked/unconscious diver at the surface, operate the panicked/unconscious diver's inflator, discuss panicked divers at depth. It's very basic, but it empowers them to handle it on their own if it happens in real life and gets them excited to take the rescue course at some point. All the pros at my shop have bought into the rescue course as the best course a diver can take, so we encourage everyone to take it.

Having a good instructor for the rescue coarse Is a first priority, but can anyone suggest how to decide where to take a rescue coarse?

IMO you need to take it twice. The first time should be early on to learn the mindset. The second time is after you have some experience to actually learn the skills.

I took my rescue course pretty late in the grand scheme of things. IIRC it was like two weeks before I completed my cave course. I honestly didn't feel it was a life changing course, as the team skills and "stop, think, act" are also emphasized in tech courses. So what I got out of the rescue course were some rescue techniques. But not everyone is going to dive head first into tech like I did, as such I think rescue should be done twice.

TBH I would like to do a cave rescue class. Techniques on how best to manage unconscious divers through restrictions and such. How to tow them on scooters, etc.

My wife hates when I say that I am a rescue diver. She believes that as I have never done it in real life several times, I am not trustworthy much like a surgeon who has only practised on corpses.

I would roll my eyes at that too, particularly if you are addressing a non-diving audience to people that wouldn't understand that it is the diving equivalent of a Red Cross First Aid class. Unless it is required for certain diving activities (I read about an island that gives AOW a 100ft limit, but rescue divers can do 130ft), I just present my AOW card for recreational diving.

IMO most rescue courses are worthless. I definitely learned more in the required rescue portion of my cave and deco classes as well as fundies that’s I did in a paid sponsored rescue course

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom