5' or 7' long hose for open water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with a five foot hose, I tried a swivel but it didn't work for me. It routes nicely and has no excess to deal with. I haven't tried a seven foot so I can't compare them but what I have works for my diving.

You're welcome to try it when we finally catch up for that dive.

I use a 5' hose and it works fine for me in O/W. I looked into using my 7' hose on my wifes BC. Most BC's come with drain holes in the pockets. My though was to install a small length of bungie between the drain holes so that it laid flat against the BC, parallel to the base of the pocket. You could also hot melt a couple holes in a more convenient location and do the same thing. You could then slip the extra hose loop under the bungie which should hold it firmly against the BC pocket......

And you have added a failure point with the coupling.

You mean in addition to the 'failure points' at the tank neck, burst disc, valve o-ring, all the o-rings in the first stage including one at every port plug, all other hose o-rings including the swivel at each 2nd stage, LP inflator, HP spool o-rings at the SPG, and all o-rings in the 2nd stages?

....just think of all the failure points we could eliminate by breathing directly off the tank valve.

Hi all.

I'm looking for opinions on hose setup stuff. Any input appreciated!

My buddy and I are looking at swapping to a long hose setup for our open water diving. We dive in jacket BCs and, although we might eventually swap to bp/w this isn't in our immediate future. The benefits of long hose just make sense so we're looking at flipping to that configuration rather than going full DIR.

We have a local TDI instructor who is willing to coach us in using the new configuration properly. He recommends going for a 5 foot hose rather than a 7, given we are wanting to use jacket BCs without a canister.

Sounds good to me. I know some agencies only recommend a 7' hose for all environments, including OW, and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on this before I pull the trigger and buy new hoses? Are there any downsides of a 5' versus a 7' that I should consider? Which option would you take?

Also, from what I understand, miflex can be a bit floaty in a long hose (notably a 7'). Anyone have an opinion on that?

Thanks.

5'

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?rfd3ap

They do make a 6 foot hose but you have to look around a bit. I found the 5 ft really a bit short when routed
and the 7 ft more than I needed for recreational stuff so went with a 6 ft. I'll recheck my length and try to figure
out where I ordered it from. The reg is in for service right now or I would measure it to be sure it was 6 ft. but
I'm pretty sure it is.

Six foot hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom