5 mm wetsuit buoyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subcooled

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How much weight does a 5 mm full length adult size wetsuit need to sink?
6 lbs? 10 lbs? 14 lbs? I need a rough guide only.

I know how much weight I need to offset the buoyancy of my lungs, but neoprene is unfamiliar territory.

What size adult? There's a big difference between the amount of neoprene in a XS and an XXXL wetsuit.

I recently tested my new XL 5mm full suit. It took 16lb of lead to sink it in a mesh bag. I added 4lbs because I was diving double AL80s. Total weight on first dive with the suit was 20lbs. That seemed enormous because I'm used to using only 4lbs with my (very compressed) old 3mm suit.

I've already dropped 8lbs. Now diving the suit with only 12lbs of lead. I expect that to drop further as the suit 'beds down' over an initial 20-30 dives. I reckon I'll need only 8lbs once the suit is fully worn in after a stint of deeper tech dives.

Glad I saw this thread - I have been using enough weight to sink the Coolidge with a new (12 dives) aqualung aquaflex even in XS size.i did two dives just over 30m today and am using 2kg more than I've ever used....I love it but I'm floaty

How much weight does a 5 mm full length adult size wetsuit need to sink?
6 lbs? 10 lbs? 14 lbs? I need a rough guide only.

I know how much weight I need to offset the buoyancy of my lungs, but neoprene is unfamiliar territory.

I am 5'10", and weigh about 170 pounds. I dive a BARE Velocity 5mm full suit, and use 18 pounds of weight.

I am 5'10", and weigh about 170 pounds. I dive a BARE Velocity 5mm full suit, and use 18 pounds of weight.

Important to mention salt or fresh water and type of cylinder used. This "sounds" on the high side, but it varies with environment.

Last edited:
Important to mention salt or fresh water and type of cylinder used. This "souds" on the high side, but it varies with environment.

Sorry about that. Always salt, primarily Caribbean, and usually Aluminum 80's, and it works for me, just fine. I might be able to trim off a couple of pounds, but would prefer to be comfortable and stable.

You are listed as a asst instr.. Simply do a proper buoyancy check...just as taught in a PADI ow course in confined water module two, and during the ow training dives. Every environment is different. Every gear selection (wet suit,bcd,regulator system, etc) is different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom