(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My thoughts are with his family...
I'm really curious to know what happened to that poor guy :sad_2:

MoonWrasse:
I suppose if a dump valve was stuck open, or the BCD was full of water. Otherwise what I posted earlier regarding river currents.

Question would be, if your BCD was full of air, and you felt yourself being pulled under while at the surface, what do you do? An extreme recent example (not quite the same) would be the divers UW during the Tsunami last December, who found themselves suddenly being pushed around depthwise.

Moon, if he was holding onto the mooring buoy a short distance from the boat wouldn't that have lessened those possible factors, unless there was considerable chop at the surface and he was panicking?

Do any of the police reports state whether he had his weights attached?

My condolences to the family, friends and the boat crew.

It seems that we all look for the lesson to be learned when things like this happen.
It is likely the simple lessons that can be best learned from incidents like this. When was the last time you practiced your basic rescue skills?" Next time you are in the water think about taking a moment to orally inflate your BC both at depth and at the surface, remove and replace your BC and practice inflating your SMB and from time-to-time "play" an emergency ascent scenerio with your buddy.

It is easy to say "why this and why that" but you don't know how you will react under an emergency situation. The best you can do is practice, practice, practice so rescue skills will be second nature.

ReneeC:
Next time you are in the water think about taking a moment to orally inflate your BC both at depth and at the surface, remove and replace your BC and practice inflating your SMB and from time-to-time "play" an emergency ascent scenerio with your buddy.

It is easy to say "why this and why that" but you don't know how you will react under an emergency situation. The best you can do is practice, practice, practice so rescue skills will be second nature.
This makes so much sense to me, I wanted to quote it to say it again!! :thumbs_up

KEY LARGO, Fla. -- Emergency divers located the body of a man missing from an Upper Keys dive boat on Sunday.

The 44-year-old man had been reported missing from a dive boat while on a trip to the Spiegel Grove artificial reef Sunday. Witnesses aboard the vessel said the man had surfaced momentarily before disappearing below the surface.

Key Largo Fire Rescue divers located the man's body near the keel of the Spiegel Grove later in the day.

The Spiegel Grove sank prematurely off Key Largo in July 2002, leaving the ship's bow sticking out of the water for several weeks.

The Spiegel Grove is the world's largest artificial reef.

i feel awful for him and his family. he was very young.

H2Andy:
i feel awful for him and his family. he was very young.

What Agency, like PADI, SSI, will have an accurate account of what heppened? There is a lesson here for we divers and I'd like to know exactly what happened. Did he run out of air, were his weights still on, could he have orally inflated his BC ,etc.

RIP

Back
Top Bottom