(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't want to disrespect the parties involved or anything but just how does one sink/drown while at the surface? The only answers I can come up with are a catastrophic BC malfunction, very heavy seas, or loss of consciousness. This is of course assuming the diver put air in their BC and was positively bouyant. Anyone else?

diverbob:
...all boats that I have ever been on also have the little dingy boat too, that they could send to pick someone up.

I have never been on a six pack boat that had a dingy on it, including at this site. I would think that usually a six pack boat would be too small to carry a dingy.

TostitoBandito:
I don't want to disrespect the parties involved or anything but just how does one sink/drown while at the surface? The only answers I can come up with are a catastrophic BC malfunction, very heavy seas, or loss of consciousness. This is of course assuming the diver put air in their BC and was positively bouyant. Anyone else?

Perhaps the diver didn't make himself positively bouyant. It's all too common to see people surface, then fight to stay on top without inflating their bcs. With a minimally experienced diver, it would be an easy mistake to make.

Of course that's just speculation. Any word on the sea conditions at the time?

-G

TostitoBandito:
I suppose a situation with entanglement could also cause this, although trying to imagine a specific scenario in this case I draw a blank.

Another possibility is that now and then I hear of river drownings around here, where the currents drag someone under, sometimes even strong swimmers.

The Grove is a dive where you have to be on top of your game. You have to be comfortable descending and ascending the line in a strong current. You have to be in good physical condition. You have to be in control and understand the conditions that present themselves during the dive. You have to understand your gas consumption. You have know your limits. In other words, this is an advanced dive, and as advanced recreational dives go, it can be more than that.

I have many dives on the SG in varying conditions. I have 'bagged' dives on the SG when those conditions dictated it. The very first time I went out to dive her a few years ago, I bagged the dive and got back on the boat. I ended up involved in a rescue when a diver rocketed to the surface with no mask or reg due to the strong current and their inability to maintain either.

CO2 buildup, heart attack, panic, gear failure and being overweighted can all contribute to accidents at the surface. Throw a very strong current, an unpreparred diver, and a boat that can't untie due to the safety of the other divers at the situation, and it can lead to tragedy.

This isn't the first accident on this dive and it won't be the last. All we can hope to do is personally learn from what comes in the form of accident analysis so that it is less likely to happen to us since we will be better preparred mentally and physically to deal with adverse conditions.

Before doing these dives, do the research and ask the questions to determine whether it is within personal limits and capabilities. No matter how prepared one is, there will always be the possibility of adverse conditions that are unexpected.

My sympathy goes out to the family of the victim.

I've never been on any boat in SE FL or the Keys that has a dingy.

There are usually so many boats moored at the SG, that if you miss your line and come up the wrong one, or drift to another one, you will get picked up another boat or be within conversation distance of one.

Holding on to a bouy in a strong surface current can be a difficult and fruitless task. This is a good reason to own, train, and be very familiar with a large SMB for dives in strong currents.

Get positive, if your equipment hasn't failed, let go of the line, and deploy the SMB. If the bc has failed, deploy the SMB first and then let go. The SMB becomes the backup bouyancy device.

ibnygator:
I have never been on a six pack boat that had a dingy on it, including at this site. I would think that usually a six pack boat would be too small to carry a dingy.

I forgot the part about this being a six pack boat. That is my fault. But then that raises another question. If the conditions can be that bad, maybe a six pack boat shouldnt be allowed to visit the site. Again, that is another topic for another day.

I doubt the size of the boat had any impact on the situation of this accident. In many cases, smaller boats actually can be more valuable in reacting to certain situations faster. They carry less divers, so the time they 'need' to spend moored is less. Their maneuverability is typically better. The conditions at this divesite are typically fast currents. Boat size isn't much of an issue for this.

Does anyone have any more information about this tragedy?

Often initial reports prove to be substantially inaccurate in various respects. Before forming an opinion, it sure would be helpful to have a more comprehensive account of the incident.

esqeddy:
Does anyone have any more information about this tragedy?

Often initial reports prove to be substantially inaccurate in various respects. Before forming an opinion, it sure would be helpful to have a more comprehensive account of the incident.
Way too early to form any opinion IMHO.
However events like these, including non diving ones often spur discussion about risks, both reminding others as well as communicating to people who aren't aware.

For example, I live in San Francisco. Every year a few people drown off the beaches here, the waters are more dangerous then they look. The collective discussion following an incident does make a difference IMO, and educates people on risks not just in the abstract form.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom