(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dove on this wreck a few times and will be doing so again in about a month. The currents can be very strong, definitely too strong to swim against sometimes. In the briefing for the site, I was told that if I surfaced away from the boat in a current that I should get their attention if possible and drift with a surface marker deployed. The boat would come and collect me.

Just FYI with regards to diving the Grove, I obviously have no knowledge of this incident.

Web Monkey:
Is there a reason the captain couldn't just bring the boat over to the buoy to pick him up?
No knowledge of this particular dive, but in general... maneuvering out there is tricky, for even a capable captain. There are frequently very strong currents, and there are often a large number of divers at the surface or doing safety stops. Its common in the area for divers to get to the surface, then drift off the lines to an area where the boat can maneuver without risking other divers. Its helpful to remember that many divers are slow when approaching the ladder and exiting the water. During that time, the captain is without power and that puts the boat and potentially a lot of divers at risk, especially if there's a good drift. A capable diver makes him/herself buoyant, drifts to an area away from other divers, waits for the boat, and then quickly exits the water. Unfortunately, not all divers down there are capable.

H2Andy:
swimming against a current can tire out any diver, especially an older diver (the diver who died in March was 52, according to CDNN), or perhaps cause a heart attack from the exertion.
What's this "older" stuff???
52's a mere pup!
Rick

MoonWrasse:
LOL, there's a posting about a 70 year old general who runs 5 miles every day and looks better in Speedos than 20-30 yos.
Oh no - don't mention Speedos among this group! But Rick is right - 52 is just a BABY!

52 is 25 backwards, and both add up to 7, which is the perfect number

so i ask you, who is younger, a 7-year old, or a 52-year old?

the answer is obviously clear to me...

so please, guys, don't try to confuse the issue with numeric mumbo jumbo

and "speedo" has 6 letters, which is the evil number. so three speedos are 666
or evil personified. and it adds up to 18, which is divisible by 6 and equals 3,
and 1+8 is 9, which is divisible by 3 and equals 3... creepy, ain't it?

Actually Rick can verify this since the General is his friend too.....

MoonWrasse:
LOL, there's a posting about a 70 year old general who runs 5 miles every day and looks better in Speedos than 20-30 yos.

Age is not the best predictor of health, IMO.

Smooth Hijack - Actually you need to get over the fact that you are jealous because Rick is a chick magnet in his speedo. He is also a mathmatics whiz so don't even try to dazzle him.

H2Andy:
52 is 25 backwards, and both add up to 7, which is the perfect number

so i ask you, who is younger, a 7-year old, or a 52-year old?

the answer is obviously clear to me...

so please, guys, don't try to confuse the issue with numeric mumbo jumbo

and "speedo" has 6 letters, which is the evil number. so three speedos are 666
or evil personified. and it adds up to 18, which is divisible by 6 and equals 3,
and 1+8 is 9, which is divisible by 3 and equals 3... creepy, ain't it?

Getting back to the point of this thread...

I too, have never dove that site. But all boats that I have ever been on also have the little dingy boat too, that they could send to pick someone up. Again, not knowing the circumstances of what went on, I am not going to say anymore. I was just wondering out loud, and also wanted to get this thread back on the topic it was intended, not a magical numbers game. I think someones life deserves a little more respect.

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family, indeed.

Back
Top Bottom