4th element users - need ideas for which one to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be diving a Bare XCD2 in NJ where typical water temp (at depth) is about 50-55 )although mid summer it stays in the low 60's at depth) on the bottom and 65-70 on top.

Dive times are varied - but right up to the NDL in depths about 85 - 115 ft.

I was thinking Artic - does that seem right or will I be to warm?

Im not someone who usually gets cold easy. I have been diving a Bare 2 piece 7mil - and have dove in temps in the high 40's - that was the dive that convinced me to get a drysuit!

Ive also done Dutch Springs in November with a 7mil and done 3 dives/day without being cold.

I was thinking Artic - does that seem right or will I be to warm?

That's what I use with my TLS-350. I often layer a thin layer of capilene underneath early/late in the year.

I hear reports from DEMA they are coming out with a one-piece suit.

Last edited:
Yup, arctic is about right. Depending upon preference you may want to add a layer of under armor cold gear or similar underneath it.

If the OP does not get cold that easily, the Arctic may be too warm. I dive a Pinnacle Black Ice, which is 7mm thermocompressed to 4.5mm, which I believe is just a bit thicker than the Bare the OP has. I wear a Xerotherm top and bottom in roughly 52F water, and I am very comfortable. In low 50s, Arctic would probably be ok, but in low 60s it is very likely Arctic will be too warm. OP might want to consider Xerotherm top/bottom, with additional layer(s) for the colder dives.

I think arctic would be good. Once I get my black ice, I'll still use the arctic and get the jacket for it.

I dive in these same locations in an O'three ri2/100 crushed neoprene drysuit with an Arctic underneath and am perfectly fine. I do get cold easy though and I find this level of thermal protection to be the bare minimum for me to stay warm.

I use the Artic under a CF200 DUI from 60 or so F down to 50, I then add Underarmor which is a tight fitting poly type base layer. Water temp down to 33 here in MN and still good for 1- 1/2 hr dives.
Been a good combo for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom