4500 psi tanks ??? please read

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paintballguy

Reaction score
im a paintball player. i have a 4500 psi paintball tank. im looking for the cheapest way to fill my own tanks. and do they make 4500 psi scuba tanks ? if so what do they cost?

my air tank is a 68ci 4500 psi im looking for the cheapest way to fill it.(about 5-20 times in a day)

Some SCBA is filled to 4500 psi.

That is the tanks that firefighters use, most of the firehalls will have a compressor, ours pump to 6000 psi.

I would suggest that you ask, don't expect a yes, but if your convencing, or better yet have a friend who is a firefighter

man those 87's would make a sweet little set of doubles!
:whoa:

canuckdiver once bubbled...
man those 87's would make a sweet little set of doubles!
Except for the approximately 70 or 80 pounds of lead you’d have to wear to get them down.

Besides the technical problems of immersing wrapped cylinders in water, the buoyancy issues alone are enough to knock them out of consideration.

Roak

These tanks are available now for SCUBA - Abyss and Luxfer both had them on their stands at DEMA. They looked like entirely normal alu tanks only with a fairly simple clear embedded fiber-type wrapping on the sides.

Best I can recall they require more frequent-than-usual hydros and must be discarded after a certain number of years. I wondered about how delicate the wrapped part was, but the Luxfer guy assured me it was very rugged, and had a protective layer over the stuff that was doing the actual work.

They come in 85 and 106 cf., with empty buoyancies of +1.26 and +3.10 lbs respectively, so while they are fairly buoyant, they aren't not outrageously so like some of the earlier HP wrapped tanks were.

The first batches are apparently experimental - the DOT is letting Luxfer to make only a limited number of them, which will be carefully monitored, to see how well they hold up in the field.

Beuchat used to sell a 4400 psi tank, which held 190 cuft of gas. Anyone ever see a diver wearing one of those?

That Beauchat 190 was something like 40# negative! I saw a fella that put together a set of their 140's which were like 26# negative each. He never dove them and the shop had them on consignment but couldn't sell them for love nor money. ;-0

Dave D

dmdalton wrote...
That Beauchat 190 was something like 40# negative! I saw a fella that put together a set of their 140's which were like 26# negative each.
Ya just gotta wonder what the heck they were thinking making that monster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom