$400 for personal equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just going to use one etailer as an example; from Direct Divers.

Mares X-Vision Liquid Skin Mask.....................$90
Mares Pure Vision Mask.................................$60
Cressi Matrix Mask.......................................$60
Evo Equinox Mask.........................................$60

Evo Breeze Purge Snorkel..............................$15

Mares Volo Power Strap Fin...........................$160
Mares Quattro Power Full Foot Fin...................$130
Mares Avanti Quattro Strap Fin.......................$130
Mares Super Channel Full Foot Fin....................$70
Cressi Reaction Strap Fin................................$90

Tusa Imprex 5mm High Cut Booties..................$40
Evo Classic 5mm High Cut Booties....................$30

Adding the high price items together is $305 before shipping (and tax if you are in Florida).

Mid price strap fins with cheaper mask and booties is $235.

With the Super Channel fins the low end is $145 (no booties).

Please note; I included no reef grabbing gloves in my packages. :)

Adding gloves and buying all Scuba Pro would bring the typical price up to at least $400. Depending on the items, the price could be a fair price. Whether it is the right choice of gear for you is up to you to figure out.

Those mares superchannel full foot fins are terrific. I prefer them to my avanti quattro strap fins, but I'll still use the quattros in colder water or where I need to use booties.

It's really silly spending that much money on simple gear even before you start the OW class. I'm pretty sure I bought a mask and booties new at the LDS I got certified at, but bought used fins and a snorkel from a friend for $5. They got me through a few seasons until I had the experience to know what kind of fins I wanted. I think I still have the snorkel somewhere.

Thanks for all the replies...sorry it took me a while to write back, but my weekends are typically busy.

Anyway, you have all confirmed my suspicions. I especially appreciate those who took the time to provide specific cost details of individual items...that was really helpful. Based on what I have seen $400 is way too much for personal gear. I do understand that one can spend whatever they desire if they are willing, but this was advertised as "basic" gear and their first step in a "good, better, best" scenario.

Having said that, when the day comes I will go back to the shop and see exactly what brands/models are included to know exactly where they are coming up with their pricing. Again thanks, your input is putting scuba back into the realm of affordability once again!

Thanks for all the replies...sorry it took me a while to write back, but my weekends are typically busy.

Anyway, you have all confirmed my suspicions. I especially appreciate those who took the time to provide specific cost details of individual items...that was really helpful. Based on what I have seen $400 is way too much for personal gear. I do understand that one can spend whatever they desire if they are willing, but this was advertised as "basic" gear and their first step in a "good, better, best" scenario.

Having said that, when the day comes I will go back to the shop and see exactly what brands/models are included to know exactly where they are coming up with their pricing. Again thanks, your input is putting scuba back into the realm of affordability once again!

Having the make/models along with pricing will help us home in on what kind of deal you got. Please let us know when you find out.
Take care,
George

Like others have said, that seems to be way too high for starter gear.

Could you be missing something?

Maybe that package includes a wetsuit? Or perhaps part of your OW training?

That price tag just seems to be go past premium equipment + LDS markup, and into shadiness.

If that price stands, you'll want to find a different shop.

No price is shady, if it is disclosed before payment is about to be presented.

If I offer to sell you a box of plain fifty #10 envelopes for $500 - there is nothing "shady" about that price. High? Yes? Should you buy? Probably not. Is it up to you to determine if the price offered is worth it? Yes. Is it a shady price? No.

Now - if I tell you, "oh yeah, this is a really low price for this product" or something - the price still isn't shady, just the sales tactic.

Although - I guess if try to sell you a brand new car for $50, maybe that price is a bit shady. Odds are good I don't own the car I am offering to sell you. Buyer beware.

I spent quite a bit of money on my gear, but a lot of it was tied up in my mask... I got corrective lenses, so that was a $100 bite right there in addition to the mask cost.

My snorkel was $25, my fins were $175 (Scubapro Twin Jet Max, a rather questionable purchase on my part but they are good fins) and the mask was $60 without the glasses part of it. Booties were $25 and stuff like anti-fog and ear-drops and a mesh bag were thrown in for free.

I could have gotten much cheaper, they didn't upsell me at all... I the guy fitted me for Scuba Pro Jets, and with that (and without the prescription lenses) my whole kit would have been about $200ish.

You got off pretty cheap My mask with bonded lenses was something like $300.

You got freebies - sounds like you had a good LDS. You you don't get **** for free up here :)

As others have stated, it really depends on what gear you're getting for that price. We have basic items that would keep you around $200. Scuba is like everything else, you can spend as much as you like. When I'm helping someone pick out their gear package, the one thing I tell them not to be cheap on is their mask. If the $35 mask is the one that fits their face and they like it, then that's the one they should buy. On the other hand, if the one that fits is the $100 mask, then they should spend the extra and get that one.

Back
Top Bottom