40 years diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjfox

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Today marks 40 years since I graduated my first SCUBA course, and became a "NAUI Junior SCUBA Diver" the youngest diver at the time in North Vancouver. In the years since, a lot
of other training and equipment has come and gone, but diving is something that has kept my interest ever since. I thought I would share some thoughts about what has come and
gone over the years.
When I started, the text book was "The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving" and the course was Navy based, and placed a lot of emphasis on physical fitness, swimming laps both
on the surface and underwater. We performed many "Doff and Don" exercises like the instructor throwing everything into the pool, and us diving in to turn the air on and put on
the tank only to surface and throw it in for the next guy. We used horse collars for bouyancy, debated the benefits of single versus double hose regs, and had a square boxy mask
with a huge purge valve in the nose. Many divers used talcum powder to put on their wet suits, and we had a "J Valve" for an air reserve, which in the cold waters of BC was
almost impossible to reach back and pull at the end of your dive. At least those jet fins worked great! That was the early 70's.
The 1980's brought my first BCD, a scubapro stab jacket, and a console for my guages, and a low volume mask. The idea of an alternate air supply was gaining popularity, what
progress!
In the 1990s I found out PADI changed the tables when my Dive buddies started having different no dec limits than me. I bought my first dive computer shortly after, that was one
of the most impressive changes for me after using tables for many years. I started diving dry in the 90s, mostly because I was making more money and could afford it, another
move to more comfortable diving. I became a PADI Divemaster in the 90s.
In the 2000s I got into underwater video, because with the introduction of digital, you could now edit video at home on the computer and get great results, another excuse for me
to dive more. A backplate and wing round out the new equipment this decade. Those jet fins still work pretty good!
Thank you to all the dive buddies over all that time! I have learned a lot from everyone, shared some spectacular dives, and look forward to many more. Cousteau was diving up to
his 80s, I plan to as well.

Congrats Charlie, 40 years of diving that's a great achivement. 12 more years to go for my 40 years, the best part it that I'm still learning on every dive.

Cheers

Al

I couldn't agree more, I started diving seriously in Feb of this year, although having done 12 or so Resort dives,,,both my wife and myself got certified in Feb and have 36 dives under our belts at 54 and 50 years of age. We absolutly love diving and are out every chance we get,,,usually weekends at Porteau Cove as we live in Squamish.
We know that we will never reach the 40 year mark in our diving careers but hope that we have good health and will be able to keep diving as long as we can.
BRAVO to you Charlie and many like you!
G&A

Cool story -- thanks for writing it!

Congratulations Charles , I have enjoyed diving with you over the past couple of decades , Next year is my 20th year of diving , nice to see you still have the same enthusiasm as you did as a teenager , If all goes well I too may make the 40 year mark , you are an inspiration for sure !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom