4-17-7 Whiskey Wreck Night Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Warm day, clear skies, and relatively flat water :) Why would you want more? I met up with Shagman, alcrmsntde, and Josh(MBT fame) at the public access next to Bahama Bob's around 6:30ishPM tonight. The water was running ankle-shin high with a noticable, but slight, westerly sideshore current. From the surface, the water had a blueish tint, but was noticably cloudy.

Shagman and I buddied up and the entire group hit the water. We descended(er... knelt down and swam) and headed south until we hit wreckage where I tied off. Visibility was 3-5' on the way out and would improve a bit at the end of the dive to the 5-12' range. Shagman did an excellent dive of sticking by me and was consistant about answering my light signals. Nicely done, excellent diver with the amount of experience under his belt. We looped the starboard outside of the wreck to the stern, where I showed him the rudder, looped to the interior of the wreck and around the inside starboard side to the break in the hull, then crossed over to the portside interior heading aft, then outside portside, back to the starboard break and across sand to the port bow outside hull, then inside, then starboard inside, followed by outiside, then several other variations for the rest of the dive :p Lots of spadefish, large sheepshead, flounder, pigfish, crab, catfish, a couple puffers, ect onsite. Towards the end of the dive, Josh spotted a nice basketball sized turtle that we followed for a bit, definately the high point of our 83 minute dive. Water was 67F and we hit a max depth of 15'.

We dove at low tide with a westerly wind kicking the crap from Mobile Bay into our area. Things could have been better, but you won't hear any of us complaining as I think we all had a great dive out there.

7 flounder managed to impale themselves on my polespear for some reason or another as well. :eyebrow:

Post dive debriefing and libations, at Hooters. Much discussion on diving insued.

Shagman is a good dive buddy to have. He pays attention to his buddy and sticks close. Thanks for the report.

Here's my report... I posted this in the trips area at nearly the same time Suprbugman posted here, doh!

Suprbugman, alcrmsntde, myself and Josh Gay from MBT were in attendence.

We hit the water at 7:18PM, temp was 66 degrees, no surf to speak of, vis was 10' or little better at times. Suprbugman showed us how strong his Chi was by submerging in chest-deep water and swimming right to the middle of the wreck. I gotta try that some time in the future and see if it's really that easy.

I experienced:
Suprbugman stick 7 flounder
huge sheepshead, which I cornered/harassed
lots of spadefish
some blue crabs to play with
small sea turtle, touched the back of it's shell!
large and small shrimp, and tons of smaller fish sheltering in the wreck's areas
sand-dollar breeding ground
one newbie BCD-wrestling event for a moment (BC not adjusted right, too much air, yadda yadda)

I got 82 minutes and used 3100 PSI of air, and had an EXCELLENT time!

Mandatory post-dive meet was at Hooters, a good time was had by all.

Thanks for giving me the guided tour, Suprbugman!

Sounds like you folks had a lot of fun. I think I need to start a new group here, the GDDD. (Geriatric Deep Dixie Divers) Maybe us members could come to some of these beach dives and get you young folks to carry our gear down to the beach. We would probably have to have special bi-focal masks to see all the good stuff and we might need help getting through the surf line. Of course, the water will have to be at least 75 degrees before we dive, too. Or maybe we could just suck it up and pretend we are 25 again. That sounds better to me.
I can still drive a boat and my little CC is nearly ready for diving. She is only a 2-pack (have space for 6 tanks, but only 2 could dive comfortably) but I will be glad to take folks diving in the shallow spots this summer. I need name suggestions for the boat. I originally was gonna name her Gollum, then I thought of maybe calling her 2-Pack For Sure. Help me with some better names. Good luck with the clean-up dive. I am working but will be off Friday if there is anything I can do to help get ready.

Mike

Diving the last day to file taxes....come here and let me slap you!!!!!:D

Same here, I don't jerk around with taxes when there's (even a slight) refund involved, which we always make sure of to be safe!

Hey, I wasn't doing my own...I got an extension ......I had clients who had organizied a posse against me...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom