3mm wetsuit vs Sharkskin T2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillieJustice

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been using rental shorty suits on vacation in tropical water. It's been plenty comfortable. The water temperatures are pretty consistently between 78F and 82F. That's about 25C to 28C for what it's worth. I'm thinking about some kind of exposure suit to take on vacation. I want full coverage to avoid stings, not that I have had any issues in the shorty. It would need to fold up pretty small and fit in the case with everything else.

I'm thinking a 3mm wetsuit or Sharkskin one piece is the way to go but don't know which. Any upside to one over the other? What about downsides? Any other suggestions?

Other information that may be relevant or not is that I dive in a drysuit at home.

Personally, I wear a 3mm in water up to 86°F. I wear a 5mm in 75-80°F and I wear a 5/3mm hooded vest under my 5mm in 70-75°F.

But everyone is different. If you’re comfortable in a rental 3mm shorty, any you just want some protection from jellies, then you could just get a good rash guard. Spacefish Army and Waterlust both make nice thick and stretchy rash guards.

I don’t have any first-hand experience with the sharkskins or similar from other brands, but I’ve been told that they can often be loose and let a lot of water in. So if it fits real well, it could be good, but if it’s baggy in any area it won’t be as warm as advertised.

A 3mm wetsuit definitely won’t fold up as small as a sharkskin or rash guard will.

For tropical waters my favourite is a Scubapro 0.5mm wetsuit. Lightweight easily packable and easy to get into and out of…

I dive two piece Sharkskin T2 in water down to 25ºC (based on logs) because I also want full coverage (so, also have a hood) and I'm a big fan. Highlights:
  1. neutrally buoyant
  2. can be used as undergarment if diving dry (I haven't tried it yet, I'd use it for warmer waters than what I have around here probably; I think maybe in the 20ºs?)
  3. less to worry about with folding/packing and how that affects performance (I usually compress it in packing cubes)
  4. I find it's less of an overheating problem on the surface, especially easy opening up the front zip on the top
  5. I also bring a Sharkskin hooded vest (not T2 but older Chillproof) for low-movement dives, like a blackwater or Manta dive in Hawai'i, to supplement warmth… only got chilly once after an hour night dive at the end of a week of diving
Mid/lowlights:
  1. some people find the fit "tight"; it's stretchy, and I think more comfortable than wetsuits above water, but this is a complaint I hear often enough. I'm using my regular sizing, which worked better for the two pieces.
  2. drying speed is… fine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom