3D printing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've tweaked (and learned) my Creality Ender-3 to print ABS with the required quality.
What are the tweaks? Do you have them for Pet-G as well?

What are the tweaks? Do you have them for Pet-G as well?

First and most important, an enclosure.
Upgraded X & Y belt tensioners.
Changed from CURA to Simplify3D. Worth the money.
Changed from original flex bed cover to 3 mm glass + Hair spray
Good brand ABS (sorry, it's local)
Bed temp 110 °C
Nozzle 250 °C
Layer Fan off ALWAYS
Speed 40 mm/s
First 2 layers 50 % speed
IMG_3786.JPG

I can send you my setting for S3D.

If you want to try an enclosure cheap, dollare tree foam board and a piece of plexi for the front wall, tape together with duct tape makes a light enclosure you can just set over it before printing.

Be careful when building an enclosure. Its probably not a big risk these days, but I know of at least one case where a home-built enclosure was involved in a fire that destroyed someones home.

Plexiglass (acrylic) is not a good material for enclosures! Perspex (polycarbonate) has a much higher Tg and is a more sutible material (as its also flame retardant). And plywood is actually great, its a decent insulator, cheap, easy to work with and will start to smoke and smell horrible long before it catches fire. Plus it doesn't melt.

Foam board and acrylic aren't going to burst into flame, but I wouldn't leave a setup like that un-attended. Ever.

Keep your electronics out of the enclosure.

Petg is easy to print with. I print petg with the same settings as pla except for the temperature.

Ohh and it sticks to the bed really, really, really well.

Is the enclosure to keep heat in?

The enclosure keeps the interior hot enough to avoid ABS warping. Besides avoids unwanted cold air currents that could produce ABS delamination.
The enclosure is made of plywood and has a glass in front to see what's going on inside. It's made in two halfs. The rear part is almost fixed and the front part is removable, so you can access the bed and extruder. The towel covers the Z axis gap.
Works great.
I use it for every print, no matter if it's PLA, ABS, PETG or FLEX.

Be careful when building an enclosure. Its probably not a big risk these days, but I know of at least one case where a home-built enclosure was involved in a fire that destroyed someones home.

Plexiglass (acrylic) is not a good material for enclosures! Perspex (polycarbonate) has a much higher Tg and is a more sutible material (as its also flame retardant). And plywood is actually great, its a decent insulator, cheap, easy to work with and will start to smoke and smell horrible long before it catches fire. Plus it doesn't melt.

Foam board and acrylic aren't going to burst into flame, but I wouldn't leave a setup like that un-attended. Ever.

I never, ever leave the printer unattended. I never, ever, leave the printer printing during the night. Not only the noise, but a lot of problems could appear. I try not to print things that require more than 10 hours.

Back
Top Bottom