3D printing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

although I'm still not liking your layer resolution
It's been good up to this print. I'm about to re-calibrate, but what do you recommend? Higher temp? I'm at 200C right now.

****Make sure your printer has thermal runaway protection installed in the software before leaving the printer running while your away (or so I've read). No need to burn the house down. I had to flash mine to do so.
They are really not kidding. There was a guy who really did burn his house down.

OK, I think the issue is with this red PLA. I have it down to 300C, but it just doesn't look crisp. All the other filaments look fine. I hadn't used this brand before and will stick with Hatchbox.
:gulp: 300C ? really? I'd be worried about damaging your printer! Typical PLA temps are 185-220C. With most modern printers (post 2015 I guess) being around 220C

It's been good up to this print. I'm about to re-calibrate, but what do you recommend? Higher temp? I'm at 200C right now.

Maybe 220C, I've never used that printer.
Actually looking at your prints I'd check the mechanicals, there looks like there is a wobble in your Z axis. I'd also check your extrusion width/layer height ratio. It should be about 2:1 (the extrusion width should be about double the layer height). That and the quality of the filament, the cheap stuff often has a bunch of fillers that ruins the print quality. You should also check the minimum layer time and maybe add a fan to cool the print (there doesn't seem to be one that I can see), its important that the prior layer has time to cool enough that the next one doesn't push it about.

:gulp: 300C ? really? I'd be worried about damaging your printer! Typical PLA temps are 185-220C. With most modern printers (post 2015 I guess) being around 220C
That was a typo... it was 200C.

There is a fan, but I'm thinking about upgrading that.

Been reading this thread with half a thought about buying my own printer.

Think I need to have more cool ideas of what to print before I buy one.

newest - Thingiverse look here

Many 3d printed items are just "neat" tricks with a 3d printer. Once you print something actually useful, you'll be hooked. Especially if it either saves you a ton of money on buying some expensive thing or (even better) is something that isn't for sale anywhere.

For me, the first thing I printed (maybe 8 or 10 years ago now) was an adapter to mount my cell phone onto my dslr tripod. At that time, dslr's just didn't do video, but my phone did. It was great! Now days such adapters are commonplace.

Check your area, but you might have a Hacker Space or Maker's Center. They're all over on this side of the pond, and I bet you can find them there as well.

Check your area, but you might have a Hacker Space or Maker's Center. They're all over on this side of the pond, and I bet you can find them there as well.

Or even local *library*. We were in Sandpoint, Idaho and went to the library: they had *two* 3D printers, and one was in use. I was blown away -- but quickly came around: what a way to stay relevant to those who couldn't care less about paper books...

Especially in an area that doesn't have the population density to support a standalone full-blown maker space...

newest - Thingiverse look here

Many 3d printed items are just "neat" tricks with a 3d printer. Once you print something actually useful, you'll be hooked. Especially if it either saves you a ton of money on buying some expensive thing or (even better) is something that isn't for sale anywhere.

For me, the first thing I printed (maybe 8 or 10 years ago now) was an adapter to mount my cell phone onto my dslr tripod. At that time, dslr's just didn't do video, but my phone did. It was great! Now days such adapters are commonplace.
I have had a couple of items printed by a company but I am not at the point where I can justify the expense of buying and having to find the space for one myself.

I have had a couple of items printed by a company but I am not at the point where I can justify the expense of buying and having to find the space for one myself.
short version;
If you enjoy the making side of it as a hobby, cost of entry can be under $500 USD and is well worth it.
If you don't enjoy the tinkering, farm out your requirements to those of us who do.
Long version;
My experience is that 3d printers are very much a hobby... They require some tinkering with settings and such on a regular basis. If you enjoy the whole hobby they are great. In terms of cost effectiveness... Iffy. I have printed enough usefull things that they are worth more than my investment in the printer, however many are things that I would not have bought. I have caps on the inlet plugs of all the 2nd stages I've rebuilt, but am not currently using... Over $100 worth of caps and plugs if I bought them. But I wouldn't have bought them.
Where the having a 3d printer shines is when you start to learn the design side and create 1 off parts, or the replacement for that "out of production" piece you need. Some one asked me about a one off that they needed yesterday morning.... I'm a nerd, so the prototype goes in the mail to him today. It's a cool feeling seeing what was in your mind translated to plastic without going through anyone else.
Respectfully
James

Back
Top Bottom