3D Printing to solve a computer part problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While sorting which gear I need to work on while I am dry for at least 30 days, the notion came to me when I opened up and old Datamax.
I would be surprised if the mfg changed specs to hatches over certain models over the years ie same batteries, same size compartment, same threads etc.
What Aeris model do you have? Do you have the hatch handy?
I can get the specs off of mine to compare.
What I am getting at is, if their the same, buy an old dc for the hatch.

The problem that I see with the Aeris AI hatch cover is the poor design considering the material used for the hatch cover. The identical hatch covers on both of my computers had the exact problem, the edges of the coin notch breaking off as the plastic became more brittle with age, and this seems to be a common problem with those hatch covers. Consequently, I would not be inclined to to buy an old computer just to recover the battery hatch cover. Based on my conversations with a 3D guy in San Antonio, I think I may be able to have replacements made from stronger material at a price that will be acceptable to me. More information will follow as I get it, have a test sample made, and test it on a dive. I am happy to share this information and the computer model, but only after I know it solves my problem without increased risk to my computer.

If you haven't done the epoxy work yet, look at JBWeld, which has metal dust in it to give the finished epoxy more strength. You can do the same thing yourself by adding powdered metal or metal dust to the epoxy. Some marine supply stores carry that, it is one of several common fillers used with epoxy.

The problem that I see with the Aeris AI hatch cover is the poor design considering the material used for the hatch cover. The identical hatch covers on both of my computers had the exact problem, the edges of the coin notch breaking off as the plastic became more brittle with age

I expect if they thought that far ahead they said: well let it fail and we'll offer 'em a trade-in discount on their computer upgrade.

If you haven't done the epoxy work yet, look at JBWeld, which has metal dust in it to give the finished epoxy more strength. You can do the same thing yourself by adding powdered metal or metal dust to the epoxy. Some marine supply stores carry that, it is one of several common fillers used with epoxy.

Good to know if my my game plan with the 3D does not work out. The 3D designer just eliminated the drill holes and broken coin slot on the CAD file and added a beefed up knob on top.

It looks like we are very close to sending off the CAD design to have a replacement battery hatch cover for the my Aeris AI computer manufactured. When I get the prototype back from the manufacturer, I obviously am going to have to test it. Here is the question of the day. If I dive with it in fresh water, without the battery installed/computer operating, and it floods, I can have the hatch cover re-designed, but will the computer likely to be destroyed? @Steve_C stated in a Apr 26, 2015 post, his Aeris got flooded, a dive shop cleaned and dried it out, and it continued to work. I would love to hear about any other experiences with computer recovery after flooding, especially when the computer is not turned on/no battery.
Thank you in advance.

It looks like we are very close to sending off the CAD design to have a replacement battery hatch cover for the my Aeris AI computer manufactured. When I get the prototype back from the manufacturer, I obviously am going to have to test it. Here is the question of the day. If I dive with it in fresh water, without the battery installed/computer operating, and it floods, I can have the hatch cover re-designed, but will the computer likely to be destroyed? @Steve_C stated in a Apr 26, 2015 post, his Aeris got flooded, a dive shop cleaned and dried it out, and it continued to work. I would love to hear about any other experiences with computer recovery after flooding, especially when the computer is not turned on/no battery.
Thank you in advance.
If you can, have a word with a dive shop that services computers. They will probably have a pot that you can use for a fee and experience of what to do if a seal fails ( I would guess that any issue would be ok as the test would be pretty quick and any leak should be minimal)

Thank you in advance.

Do you happen to have access to the CAD files? If they're in the right format, I or a few other 3d printer guys I know may be able to print you a sample to test fit for probably nothing.

Dome, thank you very much for your kind and generous offer, but my CAD guy has already printed a sample, made some modifications to the scan, and is now ready to send the final file to a manufacturer. If any issues pop up that he can't resolve, I will certainly take you up on your offer, but I would pay for your labor and processes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom